• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ojom.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Stan's Grail rims – is it just me?
  • cinnamon_girl

I’m used to Stan’s (Crest) rims but do you think I can get a new tyre on a Grail? Yes yes I’m using tubes and being awkward.

Anyone else struggle?

Tomorrow’s plan in ruin. 🙁

Jossie

They can’t be any worse than Rapids, broke 3 tyres levers and a thumb nail trying to get a tyre on them.

cinnamon_girl

That sounds rubbish Jossie!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jossie

I may have been quite angry that day I must admit. Starting to think Stans aren’t tyre shaped or something.

nicko74

Is it that you can’t get the bead over the rim? Dumb question, but have you done the whole thing of ensuring the other bead’s in the channel?

cinnamon_girl

Now wondering whether tyres should have been bought to room temperature to make them pliable.

Never had a problem with Mavic rims, struggled with DT’s but eventually got there as I did with Crest’s.

In an ideal world I would have two pairs of tubeless wheels, dream on girl. 🙂

Off for another attempt.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Stans are notoriously tight with some new tyres. Maybe pop the tyre on another rim, inflate and leave it for a day or two to stretch, then try again on the Grail. Either that or get some workshop levers and a tonne of patience!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Depth of channel in middle makes the difference as well as tyre itself. C-G, if you are using tubes you could still consider the thickness of whatever rim tape you have on. Stans yellow (or similar) tape is thinner than cloth or plastic tape, and so will increase the depth of the channel in the middle (relative to thicker rim strip) and give you more wiggle room to get bead over the edge of the rim. However i am not sure what sort of pressure it copes with. I have used tubes and stans rim tape to 40 ish psi with no probs but not sure about cx or road tyre pressures. Stans website suggests it is suitable for use as lightweight rim tape with or without tubes, but to put 2 layers on for road tyres and tubes due to pressures invoved. Hopefully someone can advise from experience.

tenfoot

I struggled with getting tyres on my Stans Arch rims. I left the tyres in the sun for about an hour, which helped.

I read on here that Specialized tyres tend to be easier to fit on stans rims, so I went that way, as I didn’t want to risk not being able to reseat the tyre away from home.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Oh i recently had advice on here about looser fitting road tyres, consensus seemed to be that schwalbe are fractionally looser and conti usually tighter to get on.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Try putting the tyres in a hot bath to get them nice and soft..might help get them on the rim.

wwaswas

If you have to put the tyres in a bath before you fit them getting a puncture out riding might prove to be a problem?

cinnamon_girl

Is it that you can’t get the bead over the rim? Dumb question, but have you done the whole thing of ensuring the other bead’s in the channel?

Yes!

Stans are notoriously tight with some new tyres. Maybe pop the tyre on another rim, inflate and leave it for a day or two to stretch, then try again on the Grail. Either that or get some workshop levers and a tonne of patience!

They’re the only 700 (29er) wheels I have!

julian – yes, they’re supposed to take tubes and I understand your point about tape. Tyres are wide so less pressure, they’re also Conti.

Thanks all, I’ve had no joy and my hands are bloomin’ sore. I did however manage to get a new Schwalbe tyre on a DT rim without using tyre levers so that makes me feel slightly better!

Looking at tubeless tyres the widest is around 38mm, the Conti’s I’m trying to fit are 42mm. Help!!!

Goldigger
    Free Member

Try putting soapy water on the rim to help it slip over the rim..
    Also make sure the bead isn’t sitting on top of the valve base in the rim, as that will give you less room to get to bead over the rim on the opposite side..

cinnamon_girl

Just calming down with a cup of tea. Left tyres to roast in the conservatory with the full belt of the sun on them but it made bu$$er all difference as they still won’t go on. To be honest I don’t think they ever will as the amount of tyre left to seat is more than one would normally have.

Original tyres on the Grails were Conti Gatorskins 32’s and the new ones are Conti Cross Rides in 42.

Back to the drawing board. 🙁

tang
    Free Member

I followed some advice off here when I first used crests and had a tricky tyre. Get the one side on, lay the wheel flat on the floor. Start from the bottom and then kneel on the tyre at the bottom. Little bit of soapy water on the rim and work your way up. Not had a problem fitting many tyres since.

Jossie

I found a big bonfire helped in the end

cinnamon_girl

tang – I have been in many positions in the garage today but never thought of actually kneeling on the tyre! Thanks for the tip. 🙂

Jossie – glad that worked!

Fat-boy-fat

Might be the tyres. I had problems with those tyres on a completely different set of rims. Managed to get them on with much swearing but bust the inner tube every time. Switched to a set of schwalbes instead (lovely reflective sidewall attracted me to them) and it was night and day. Tyres went on, no burst tubes, job’s a good un.

leffeboy

I found blowing up the tubes slightly to push them to the inner edge of the tyre helped as then the tute bread can slip down into the well easier

porter_jamie

has anyone tried using tyre soap, like you use to fit car tyres? i find with car tyres you really need to pile it on or the tyre bead wont slip over the rim, and in some cases will stall the machine.

ojom
    Free Member

I’ve yet to find a combo I can’t do with hands alone. Never needed a tyre lever in a good few years and this is for all types of wheel and tyre.

Technique and practice. That’s what you need.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Stan's Grail rims – is it just me?’ is closed to new replies.