Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stans fluid in inner tubes for touring
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

After a series of punctures on my commuter/tourer/go to bike, I invested in some slime filled tubes. They kind of did the job, but I had a couple of instances where the slime wouldn’t plug what I thought was a pretty small hole and then made it hard to patch – so all in pretty disappointed with the product.
    At Bristol Oktoberfest, I watched a demonstration by the Stans man, where he stabbed a tyre with some wire and it pretty much sealed straight away.
    I don’t want to go tubeless as the bike goes to some pretty remote locations and I’d rather have the backup of another tube. What I want to know is, can I use this stuff in my inner tubes and will it work?
    Any experience of this?

colande
    Free Member

typical stw reply,
    but what tyres are you using

w1zard
    Free Member

I’ve stuck Stans in inner tubes on mate’s bikes loads of times, and I’ve never seen them puncture. Unscientific I know, but I’d usually expect a few flats on the rides we do. They were mountain bikes though….

You can still use a tube if you go tubeless – I always carry spare tubes even though I run Stans tubeless. Only needed them once, on a huge sidewall tear, and it’s messy, but still possible to fit a tube. I don’t think I’ve had a puncture for about 6 months, riding several times a week. Well not one I’ve noticed, anyway. I don’t know how this all translates to road bikes though 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

+1

fourbanger
    Free Member

Gatorskins on the road, and some Schwable CX tyres offroad. Gatorskins are a bit tyred, CX tyres new.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Not really the same, but after a couple if thorn punctures in my sons buggy I put some Stans in each inner tube and no punctures since.

Klunk
    Free Member

use them in the tubes of my commuter and it’s works but only upto 40 psi any higher and it will blow through the latex on a typical thorn type puncture (where the thorn has come out).

druidh
    Free Member

IMHO, Gatorskins aren’t really a touring tyre. I’ve had good experiences with GP4Seasons and Schwalbe Marathons. I think I’ve had 4 punctures in the past 3 years and that’s well over 10 thousand miles.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stans fluid in inner tubes for touring’ is closed to new replies.