Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stans Flow Rims – Yellow tape or Rim Strip?
  • SigmaF
    Free Member

Chaps,

Just about to prep a new set of Flow wheels for the Mega.

What’s the general experience/feeling of running the flow rims re. system choice?

I’ll be running a 2.5 Fr and 2.35 Rr…..Single Ply minions.

Should I be looking at the rim strips or tape/valve combo?

Cheers…

martinh
    Free Member

I’ve only ever run yellow tape on mine and had no problems

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve only ever run the rim strips but from what I’ve heard, for hard riding and DH in particular, you need the added security of the rim strips over the yellow rim tape. The explanation for this is that the rim strip provides extra sealing between the tyre and the rim, which helps the tyre stay seated and air tight when cornering hard, i.e. it helps prevent burping. I honestly don’t know if this is true but it would make some sense.

On a separate note, for something like the Mega, would it not be worth considering dual ply tyres?

votchy
    Free Member

Had to use the rim strips on mine to get high rollers to seat, too much room with just the yellow tape and couldn’t get them to inflate, first time with a track pump with the rim strips (single ply wire beads)

BadlyWiredDog

I run Flows with the rim strips for tubed tyres converted to tubeless mode and just yellow tape with full-on tubeless / UST / Tubeless ready tyres. You can run converted tubed tyres with just the yellow tape, but it’s generally much easier to inflate them with the rim strip ime and more secure at lower pressures.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Flows here with yellow tape.

Official advice is to use a rim strip for tubed tyres and yellow for UST.

Mostly I think this is to help with airing up. UST beads are much smoother and better formed to make a bead interlock with the rim, as well as being a bit tighter. I’ve successfully air up a variety of tubed tyres (use of a compressor) and as long as the bead is fairly smooth and well formed they’re been fine.

I especially like Michelin All terrains for their bead. Maxxis advantages are good, but I wasn’t satisfied with the bead on a set of high rollers – too rough and reluctant to sit in the flows bead socket – even clean and lubed. I know others here have run them successfully without a rimstrip though.

love
    Free Member

…i am using…2x layers of 25mm wide yellow tape and ust tyres…highroller LUST2.35″, swampthing 2.5″, continental rubber queen 2.4 @ 22psi no probs with burping. Comments about rim strip with non ust tyre s and yellow rim tape method for ust tyres sounds right from what I have heard from other users, readings on JRA and my own experience

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stans Flow Rims – Yellow tape or Rim Strip?’ is closed to new replies.