Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Stan’s Flow Rims
  • Swiftacular
    Free Member

How do they stack up against Mavic 819’s?
    Weighing up whether to buy another pair of rims, but as Hope Hoops only come with DT or Stans rims, the Flows seem the better choice?

Anybody rate them?

(i’ll be running them tubeless)

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

stans rims are great. strong, light, and wider than the mavics will be.

easy to set up tubeless too.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Nice to hear, although ive never had a problem with Mavic UST’s, just the 819’s only take up to about 2.25’s comfortably, and would like to run 2.4’s.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

they’ll be fine then.

friend runs 2.5 maxxis on his for racing dh.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I love mine. I also love tubeless now butt he reason i got them is because there’s nothing wider for the weight or nothing lighter for the width!

turnip
    Free Member

they dont build very nice because they arent as stiff as the competition, and they arent really that light when you weigh them.

id stick with mavic

Swiftacular
    Free Member

i cant get Mavic, (well not without paying about £100 more). Its Stans or DT rims only.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I went from Mavic 819 to Pro 3s and 355 rims 24 spoke jobbies.1520gms all in with discs. They’re on my Orange 5 and i’m 14st and apart from the slight flex they run straight as a die and i’ve now thrashed them through about 500k of xc racing, enduro riding and even jumped them slightly at AYTE. They’re holding up 100 times better than i expected and are 1/2 the weight of mates pro2 Flow combo which actually made his bike heavier than when he had xt wheels! Also running non tubeless specific (ie.not ust) tyres on them with relative ease just yellow tape.
    Wouldn’t hit a rock garden flat out or dh course on them but thed’d get through if your sensible.

Guess to cut a long ramble short depends what your riding!

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Well theyre partly to allow me to run bigger tyres, as im off to CwmCarn this summer, so dont mind them being a little heavier, as long as theyre heavy duty, so to speak.

Also i dont want to be sensible on them, thats the point.

Id expect Flow/pro2 to be heavier than XT, as they’re far more capable.

My only options im looking at are DTs vs Flows for a more enduro and light dh-ish orientated wheelset.

Id love more Mavics, but its £220 or £320 (Stans/DT or Mavic)

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I have both Flows and 819s. The 819s feel a bit stiffer than the Flows but burp air sometimes (even with UST tyres) when running lower pressures where the Flows do not. I like the profile and stability the wider rims give tyres so if I was buying again, I would go Stans.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I havent had any problems with 819s burping even with 2.35’s on, just they feel a little “squidgy” and unstable, maybe if i pushed them harder they would burp.

I’m thinking wider rims would stabilise them a bit, as you say bdb.

Anyone know if the HopeHoop packages come with rimstrips, or are they going to cost extra? and can Hope supply them?

nodrog2
    Free Member

Hope can supply rim tapes at a little extra cost.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

The proper Stans ones is that?

Vortexracing

why not get hoops on 5.1 or 4.2 DT swiss rims and buy the DT Swiss tubeless kit?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

why would you – dt rims are shit

Vortexracing

matter of opinion.

I have 2 x sets of 5.1 and they are just fine after nearly 12 months use.

I do only weigh 10 stone though

Swiftacular
    Free Member

i weigh nearly 15st, and from my experience, DT’s are cheese.

diplomatt
    Free Member

Liking my Flow rims from justridingalong.com. Replaced EX823s – feel just as stiff but a load lighter. And easier to build than the UST nipple faff.

Matt

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Stan’s Flow Rims’ is closed to new replies.