Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Stans Flow Rim, Running it tubeless advice…
  • thwapy
    Free Member

I have just bought a front stans flow rim and kit (yellow tape, valve & sealant) to run it tubeless. My front tyre is a Maxxis Advantage 2.25. I have installed the tape, left it with an innertube in to seat the tape properly and I am at the soap suds inflation stage. However I cannot get the tyre to inflate at all, any ideas…? Thanks

localhero94
    Free Member

If the tyre is a non-ust you might have better luck with a rimstrip in there.

Taz

Pretty sure the Flow requires a rim strip. Double check it on the no tubes website.

Most of the new ones (Alpine, Podium, Crest) use just the tape

Jamie
    Free Member

Have you tried pushing the tyre down in the middle so the bead is pushed into the bead before pumping? Also, what pump are you using?

The Flow is compatible with the tape/valve method and should not need a rimstrip.

convert

With a normal tyre, even a maxxis, a rim strip makes it easier if using a track pump. Using CO2 or a compressor for the air makes a difference but I found even with sealant in it still leaked air quite quickly (over a couple of days). In the end I got a rim strip and use it over the top of yellow tape with normal tyres and revert back to just yellow tape and an olympic valve for tubless specific tyres (which I use most of the time now – a bit heavier but a lot more confidence inspiring)

neninja
    Free Member

I use Olympic rims and had the same problem with my track pump initially.

I found that if you put the Stans fluid in and tip the wheel over horizontally and run the Stans all round the edge of the tyre by tilting the wheel around on both sides it seems to go straight up afterwards with the pump.

localhero94
    Free Member

I had run arch's with normal tyres and rimstrips for a couple of years and always had a struggle inflating without co2. Last weekend I took out the strips and used just yellow tape with ust tyres and was amazed how easily they inflated. UST all the way for me now.

thecrackfox
    Free Member

If using a track pump I find that pushing the tyre down with your thumb at the valve helps to increase airflow and pop the bead onto the rim. Helps if you are a w@nker with one strong arm or have an assistant. 😕

Onzadog
    Free Member

In theory, a rim strip is needed for "normal" tyres. However, I set up some Advantage Exception tyres on a flow rim with just the tape (exception tyres are a bad idea by the way, too flimsy).

Try some pegs.

16 evenly spaced either side to flatten the tyre. Then hang it to inflate it. If it will work with your pump, remove the valve core for better air flow.

Failing that, inflate it with a compressor or a CO2 cart.

If you're near Nottingham, shout up and we'll have a go with my compressor.

geetee1972
    Free Member

CO2 canisters make life a heck of a lot easier but it's a pricey way to inflate your tyres.

The best tip I can offer is not to use diluted washing up liquid; use it neat and spread it liberally (and messily) around the, ahem, rim. Then try the track pump and if that doesn't work, resort to CO2 canisters.

As has been pointed out, you don't technically need the rim strips but they do create a better seal that makes a difference for heavy and/or aggresive riders.

yoshimi

I had this problem, you'll be fine with just the yellow tape – I did what you did i.e. leaving it with an innertube inflated overnight, then soap suds. Daft question but you have remove the valve core when you initially pump up the tyre just to seat it properly so that you can force a lot more air in? Get yourself a Co2 pump and It'll pop it on straight away. IME you only have to do this the first time, then the tyre gets used to being there.

grumm
    Free Member

It must depend on the tyre, because I had no problem at all my Flows with just yellow tape, a track pump and non tubeless Bontrager tyres. :shrug:

aviemoron
    Free Member

I install the tyre with an innertube first leave it a while, unseat 1 bead take out inner tube install valve and the fluid then swish round like neninja describes then inflate with normal floor pump – oh don't rest it on the ground to inflate, hang it of something. Job done.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I've successfully mounted the 2.25 ADvantage on my flows without a rimstrip, but I had to use a compressor to do it.

It was a great combo, but the bead was too slack and I rolled it off the rim twice (running 28-30psi) Fortunately, I got away with it both times and keen to take the lesson fate had provided me I changed to a wire beaded 2.3 highroller thats much more secure.

I'd not recommend running that combination from a safety stand point. No idea if they'd work with a rim strip though. I've moved away from the faff of rimstrips, even the pucker ones.

scruff
    Free Member

I've used a roofrack strap around the circumference to push the tyre down, seemed to help with tricky tyres.

I ended up buying a compressor though when Aldi got them in, its like when you first buy a bike stand, suddenly it all becomes clear…

njee20
    Free Member

Another layer of tape will make the tyre tighter and aid inflation. Rim strips can make it easier, but are in no way necessary.

thwapy
    Free Member

thanks for responces so far. I've tried it without the valve core in but still didn't want to go up. where's the best place to get a cheap compressor? would putting the
    sealant in help? or should I get the tyre inflating first? want to stick with tyre as it's brand new! I live up north but thanks for the offer of popping over to use your compressor mate!

convert

On the subject of compressors – I've got a massive one at work that would be great but what do folks do for the connection/trigger end. I'm assuming a schrader car type one with a presta conversion is an option, but is a presta specific one available?

njee20
    Free Member

Sealant in first, definitely.

FuzzyWuzzy

Personally I wouldn't put the sealant in until you can get the tyre to catch and seat first as it shouldn't be needed for that part so if you can't get it catch without then you're just going to be adding more mess by putting sealant in first.

younggeoff

I had problems with a maxxis tyre, used neat washing up liquid to soap the bead and it went up straight away.

grumm
    Free Member

Sealant in first, definitely.

Not for me. I'm with FuzzyWuzzy on that.

njee20
    Free Member

I guess it depends how you add the sealant, but if you have to seat the tyre, only to remove it and stick the sealant in it seems a bit daft! I've always put it in first myself, but don't remove the valve core to do it.

neninja
    Free Member

I'm with njee20 – it really helps the tyre go up with a track pump and has never been messy for me.

thwapy
    Free Member

how tight are folks tyres on the rim? my tyre fits on the rim no bother and hthe problem seems to be getting the bead to sit on the edge of the rim all the way round. it just wants to sit in the middle. I've tried patting it down to 'shape' the rim. will try neat washing up liquid when I get in tonight. thanks for all the advice

scruff
    Free Member

Convert-
    you can get Schraeder to presta adaptors, work OK but do lose a bit of air when in use.

Northwind

Another Flows with yellow tape and standard rims here… And likewise Traversees and blue tape, which is much the same thing. Never had any bother with either, though I do generally use my compressor, daft not to.

thwapy
    Free Member

Thanks for all your help on here ! Managed to get it inflated with neat washing up liquid, the valve core out and lots of pumping !! Bead popped on and then I de=flated and added sealant. Re-inflated and she's still up (no doubt I will walk into the shed and it will be flat in the morning!).

Now… what pressure should I run…….80kgs…

dodgypenguin
    Free Member

Been using the flow specific rim strip with my flows/minion/advent arrangement:

http://www.justridingalong.com/shop.php?product=56

No flats. Pressure 30psi for trail/xc, 25psi if more traction needed at expense of rolling resistance (85kg). You need to experiment to get the tyre feel needed- a few psi can make a big difference to feel.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Stans Flow Rim, Running it tubeless advice…’ is closed to new replies.