Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stans Flow rim OR Mavic EN521?
  • bobster
    Free Member

I've been running XM719 discs with Stans for a couple of years now, but fancy a slightly wider rim. Like the looks of a Flow having seen some, the other day tried a bike with EN521 on and rather liked the feel. Seems to be a bit of a weight difference though. These woudl be laced to Hope Pro IIs.

Any opinions on either? Experience of running the 521 with Stans? Other options to consider?

This is for general trail riding on a hardtail, XC, DH, singeltrack – SDW, Surrey Hills, Wales, Spain, street.

Ta

slowrider
    Free Member

if you are buying new hubs too then its definitely worht going for a hope hoops with stans flow, so much cheaper than the sum of the parts and build at £285. if you are using hubs you already own then id still prefer the stans, nice and light for the size, strong, really easy to inflate with either ust or rim strips. not cheap though and theres nothing wrong with 521s, just a bit heavier and not as simple to set up tubeless.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Never used Mavics but not had a problem with both my sets of Flows

firestarter
    Free Member

ive used stans before no probs. But currently running 321 on hopes nice and cheap not too heavy and strong. And im running mine tubeless with bmx tubes easiest set up ive ever used . Tho only used dt and stans lol very happy with mine. And tho stans were good next set i get will be mavic 321 when i wreck my dt ex1750 on the full sus

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Check out Winstanleys for very cheap Hope Hoops.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Or JRA in Sheffield for well build flow rimed wheels

firestarter
    Free Member

another nod to jra had two sets built there before i learned to build my own. Very good service and great build.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've got two sets of wheels for my 6-pack. One with old 321s and one with old 317s. My plan is to rationalise the two sets into one with a Flow rim. I've done it on my other bike and I'm loving the Flow rims. I'm also running 317s tubeless but doing it with 321s is a bit of a 'mare.

In short, get the Hope Hoops with Flow rims. Roger at Wheelpro does them I hear. Gives them a personal finish as well as a valve and yellow tape. Also means that if you trash a rim, you can get him to rebuild it for you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stans Flow rim OR Mavic EN521?’ is closed to new replies.