Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Stans Crest v 355
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Am waiting on the new Crest rim (is about 40g lighter than the 355 which it replaces) to appear next month, be for general XC duty, on a Hope Pro2 hub.

Am 87kg……anyone know is it going to be a bit flimsy for me, would I be better picking up one of the last of the 355?

DT78
    Free Member

I'm interested as well. Keep nearly clicking buy on 355s….

fattatlasses
    Free Member

OP, please tell me more. I've been told conflicting stories, some people reckon the Crest is replacing the 355, but when I posted a query on the NoTubes support website, they reckon the 355 isn't being replaced by the Crest.

TBH, I'm hoping ('scuse the pun!) that Hope will offer the Crest on their factory builds. Just wondered if this is what you're waiting for?

podman
    Free Member

I'm waiting for the Crest's, they're apparently as strong as a 355, 2mm wider and weight 40g less… I think the weight saving comes about mostly because the sidewalls are shorter because there isn't a braking surface, they're also supposed to make tyres seal easier.

I'm about 75kg, so thinking about getting Pro3 XC3's; they're going on my SS, which does lots of road miles and doesn't ever have to deal with anything more than a few roots.

I'm hoping they'll be a few people wanting Crests when they're available, so we can sort out another group-buy.

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

Am I missing something – JRA have been selling the crest for sometime

podman
    Free Member

Yup, Crests are replacing 355's on Hope Hoops (at least the Pro 2 ones anyway, I presume all of them?), from mid-May.

DT78
    Free Member

Yes I'm thinking pro3 xc3 or 6 on crest to upgrade my XC hardtail. I'm on the borderline weight wise 85kg in kit maybe a bit more depending how much water I carry.

Hopefully I should loose weight over the summer and with my first season of competing

mcboo
    Free Member

I spoke to Roger at Wheelpro.co.uk, he told me they were replacing the 355. The 355 on Pro2 dont come with the 85kg weight limit (as far as I know), am hoping that will be the case with the Crest. Lighter and wider is good.

uplink
    Free Member

The way I understand it is Notubes are not going to supersede the 355 with the Crest
    Rather Hope have taken the decision to use the Crest over the 355 for their Hoops

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Yes I'm thinking pro3 xc3 or 6 on crest to upgrade my XC hardtail. I'm on the borderline weight wise 85kg in kit maybe a bit more depending how much water I carry.

My wife's been running Pro3 XC6 with DT4.2's on her bike (which she's selling BTW) and they're bloomin' brilliant, but she's after something lighter as she doesn't need the extra strength of the 32 spokes and 4.2 rims. I'll let her know about the Crest/Pro 3 combo.

p.s. cheers for the info.

podman
    Free Member

Looks promising for a group-buy when they're available too then- interest from 3 people within an hour, just hope they've got enough rims on the way 🙂

ventanarider
    Free Member

i spoke to hope a couple of weeks ago and they are doing the crest as a factory wheel. Should be available in about 4 weeks in black and possibly a limited edition in white

Zoolander
    Free Member

I'm after some hoops pro2 with crests as well when they are out.
    Anyone know if they will be priced the same?

johnny

More questions, but does anyone know if they will do the hope hoops with a choice of hub colours for the Crest? I'm on the verge of buying a wheelbuild, but could hang on for a couple more weeks if i have to…!

mk1fan
    Free Member

Just what I want for the Hustler – Pro II hubs Crest rims. 10mm rear and 20mm front bolt throughs.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

hmmm….blimey, got me thinking there….red hubs, black rims…yummy! (now if they started offering coloured spoke nip options eh?! – I know I'd never be able to make my mind up:)

johnny

fattatlasses- Just riding along or Freeborn will build you whichever colour combination you fancy… if you're feeling flush!

dobo
    Free Member

i got the crests, they are great and have had no issues so far at 12.5 stone but i'm not sure they will be as tough as 355's, i think they are fairly thin walled
    that said people recon olympics are tougher than 717's, i wouldnt have thought so but i have dinged up my 717's

DT78
    Free Member

Dobo is that 12.5 stone in kit?

I'd be interested if anyone has an idea of pricing.

Colour options would be nice but not my priority!

mk1fan
    Free Member

Freeborn have a price calculator on their website.

oxnop
    Free Member

I'm running some team issue sp3 with 355 currently 32 spoke varient- I was a little worried about how much abuse they would take (coming from some fr2350 & ex1750) but I've got them on my blur ltc.

Currently with 2.3 tubeless DH tyres (1350 grams for each tyre) and they are holding up superb- 3/4/5ft drops to flat(ish) rock gardens etc I even logged my fastest speed going down the blue pig yesterday at 33.8mph and my wheels took a real battering.

I'm about 13.5st in my gear BTW

mcboo
    Free Member

JRA and Freeborn are having a laugh the size of Texas

DT78
    Free Member

Yea – I'm looking for hope hoops prices rather than custom build mega bucks.

oxnop – sounds good, doubt I will be putting the rims through half of that…

dobo
    Free Member

nah i'm probably nearer 13 stone in gear, i really like them but for abuse i'll be sticking on my crossmax xl's or dt1800

i should probably add that mine are built with supercomp spokes and i can slightly detect flex in hard cornering, my DT1800, 717, 819 have all been made with comp and dont flex, nor do my xmax xl's

mcboo
    Free Member

Crest are $85 on the NoTubes website, as opposed to $90 for 355 so surely wont be any more expensive as Hope Hoops. They say it is as strong as the 355….will take them at their word, am going to hang on for the Crest.

http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/cPath/685/products_id/492

nedrapier

Another one for group buy here! Crest on rear Pro II when the time comes.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Any chance of a group buy just on the rims? I need a pair of 29s and a pair of 26s.

Northwind

mk1fan – Member

"Just what I want for the Hustler – Pro II hubs Crest rims. 10mm rear and 20mm front bolt throughs. "

That seems a completely odd choice tbh. Burly bike, burly axles, seems like it wants Flows or Archs really. Flows for preference if I was you.

mattp
    Free Member

spoke to roger at wheelpro on thursday and he's expecting new hoops in "first week of june" but suggested that i didn't hold my breath.

Offpistejon
    Free Member

Looks like wheelpro may be getting them next week or so. Also interested in a group buy, but how does all that work?

Candodavid
    Free Member

JRA have 29er crest in stock now

18bikes

just got stock of pro 2 standard/crest

Baldysquirt

Does that mean there's a pair there for me then Si?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I'm still flipping "dilemma-ing" over what front Hoop to get!

I got a 717 rear on Pro2 a couple of months ago and it's great but want to change the front (currently DT 430 on Spesh Stout, normal QR skewers) wheel.

I really want to "match" them but 355s get a good write up – my issues with them are:

I'm not going tubeless
    I use narrow (1.8") tyres so don't need wide rims
    Stans are a bit garish (!!)
    I'm not 100% convinced Crests will be as competitive – I reckon 355s on Hoops were a bit of a blinding deal
    I just like Mavics.

Hmmm….

Jamie
    Free Member

just got stock of pro 2 standard/crest

Price?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Mavics all the way.

Reliable 🙂

jim
    Free Member

Notubes themselves say:

The Crest is more of race/training day rim while the 355 would be a more durable cross country rim.

(from http://messageboard.notubes.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2603&p=7094&hilit=crest+race+training#p7094

Baldysquirt

Jamie, I think 18bikes sell standrad proII hope hoops at £110 front and £185 rear.

I read that about Crests too, but a friend of mine who works for JRA reckons they'll be more than stiff / strong enough for the kind of trail riding I do in the Peak from what he's seen of the builds they've done with them over the last few months. I also don't think Hope would replace 355s with them on hoops unless they were confident they would manage as an all round XC rim for general riding.

Shandy
    Free Member

I have a set of Crests on the way, they will not be having an easy life, I'll report back if they break. I went for them because I wanted to have one set of wheels that were as light as possible, and I already have the Flows.

podman
    Free Member

Is there still interest in another group buy for Hope Hoops? I'm guessing there should be fair general availability this week, I'm after a standard Front Pro 2 with Crest rim.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Stans Crest v 355’ is closed to new replies.