Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Stans crest + hamfisted rider = bad move?
  • D0NK

I tend to trash rear tyres, currently running tubeless on the rear at 45psi. Occasionally I’ll still manage to pinch a ust tyre and put a minor ding in the rim (xt 775 wheel) I’ve been running a 355 on the front of my bike for a while no probs so I thought I’d try a crest on the rear. Just about to build it up but a mate managed to properly ding his crest last night, put a flat spot on the rim, looks like he’ll have trouble running tubeless on it again. Is this a common occurence? I’m guessing not but my ability to mash rear tyres has me worried about the life expectancy of a crest. I did think about upping tyre pressure to 50 but I think the limit is 40.
    Am I worrying too much?
    Any alternatives?
    Def need tubeless and not too heavy, have used 819 before, nice and strong but 500g!
    Not got the cash for a tubeless wheelset plus I already have a nice hub ready for a rim.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Is a Flow perhaps a better solution then?
    Actually, I’m interested in folk’s experience on this one ‘cos thus far I’ve been reluctant to go as light as a Crest on my HT.

I’m 13.5 stone and not exactly careful about lines so I’m loving the tubeless Flows on my FS as I reckon they’re saving me at least three pinchflats per ride compared to previous history with tubes.

I want to do the same on the HT but am worried about resilience of Crest. As you’d expect, the HT (Rockhopper) only gets used for lighter duties but I’m still typically picking up one to two pinch flats during a day’s outing on it (Lakes, Calderdale, Rivi, etc).

Crest, Flow or just ghetto the SS Vapours that are currently on it?… I’m undecided.

D0NK

Got a flow with a dual ply minion with sealant on my burly bike, works well but it’s pretty chunky. I want this for my XC bike. I don’t right wheels off, taco them or break rims etc but I do pinch tubes a lot. I did think about arch, any one know if there’s a new/replacement arch with bst2 coming out soon?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

any one know if there’s a new/replacement arch

That would be ideal for me too I reckon 🙂

rondo101
    Free Member

I’m just shy of 150 lbs & managed to ding my crest rear rim on a loop of Afan’s W2. The STW collective wisdom said it was because I was either unlucky or a shit rider & unlikely to happen again. Switched it to an Arch, which has so far been fine. Doing W2 again on sunday though, so don’t want to speak too soon.

neninja
    Free Member

Currently running Arch rims on the FS and they are excellent. They’ve done the usual mix of trail centres, XC and have taken a battering in the Lakes and Dales and are still as straight as the day they left the shop.

bigjim

Crests fine so far for me at 12 stoneish but I do try to bunnyhop things that would pinch.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i am clumbsy at best and use a 355 on the back of my heckler

D0NK

Thing is I’m not sure weight (or lack of) or skill (within reason) matter too much, some people just float, some blunder/crash through stuff (obviously I’m the latter – well actually I float front wheel with nairy a flat and crash the rear)

Clumsy/355/heckler sounds promising, do you often get pinch punctures tho cruz? I want a rim that isn’t going to be unuseable after the (seemingly inevitable in my case) first pinch flat.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

never had one on that but did on mavic 819s

jackal
    Free Member

Just done a week in the sierra nevada on my crest’s and had several peaks rides on them too, no dings, run about 30-35psi.
    The rear wheel is ‘slightly’ out of true now tho.
    I ride fast but smooth (a lot of unweighting, a floater as someone mentioned up there 😆 ) and always try and pick a good line, about 12.5 stone in riding gear.
    Your riding style is the main consideration, if your constantly smashing into rocks (instead of up and over, or around) then prob not the rim for you.

I’m quite impressed by what i’ve put them through in the last couple of weeks…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Stans crest + hamfisted rider = bad move?’ is closed to new replies.