Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Stans 355 rims with Hope 3 bolt hubs ??
  • GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Are Stans 355 rims with Hope 3 bolt hubs and Sapim spokes and nipples the best XC wheelsets for sub £400.Is it really worth going tubeless and what will i need to do this or should i just keep using my tubes???

Hadge
    Free Member

Going tubeless saves weight and punctures so if it’s for XC stuff then go for it. I used the NoTubes on my Olympic rims and had no problems at all. Can’t speak about the Hope hubs though but I run Goldtec Pro Comps (as I make them) and they were very light indeed.

whyter

I’m thinking about getting this combo as well. Looks light for the price, and comes with rotors, but has weight limit of 85kg according to Hope? If you get the setup from Wheelpro, you get the rim strip and valve fitted free for tubeless. I’m sticking with tubes though, ‘cos I like to swap tyres.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

you can build lighter and cheaper.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t understand you tubeless saves weight – does the sealant not weigh the same as a tube?

showerman
    Free Member

Manchester Trev info

boxelder

It’s not just the weight saving that makes tubeless better. They grip better at any pressure, don’t pinch flat or thorn puncture and they ride more comfortably – smoothing the ride. They’re faster for me.
    Stans 355 withCrossmarks went on as easily as tyre with tube.

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Message to Manchester Trev.Please tell me your info.

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

What will i need to go tubeless with these rims.I was hoping to use my original tyres (Continental Explorer Pro folding,NON UST).

Anthony
    Free Member

Assuming you get them through Wheelpro you need nothing other than some sealant like Stan’s or JRA wheel milk. You can mount your existing Conti’s and just add the sealant to make them air-tight. Tubeless on Stan’s rims is awesome. You have nothing to lose by trying it other than a few bob on a bottle of latex. For me, tyres at 20-25psi is fantastic.

Total weight of mine which arrived today, are 1506g without rotors. This is ACTUAL weight which is lighter than my Olympic on Kings and Olympic on Pro2’s (both with DT Revolution spokes). What was suprising is that the 160mm 3-bolt rotor weighs more than the Hope X2 Mini-Pro 6-bolt floating rotor.

Comparing the weight to the race wheels reviewed in this months mag, they are lighter than wheelsets costing twice that of the Hope’s.

They are truely beautiful things.

Mine were through Roger and I would highly recommend his service.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

hope pro 2’s on olympics with alloy nipples are lighter and cheaper, you could go XTR with the same set up and go ceramic really cheap, lots of options………….. best person to speak to is Jon at JustRidingAlong.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I also got mine through roger about a month ago. Very very pleased. Run them with nobby nic/racing ralph. Running around 25 – 30psi

Noticeably faster against the hope xc/717 build before (+ don’t have to mess around with stupid rim strips that use to bind to the tyre)

whacked sealant in a pumped the tyre. Piece of P*ss! not had any problems with them

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

“hope pro 2’s on olympics with alloy nipples are lighter and cheaper”

Things is though they’re not lighter and you’d be struggling to build wheels for less than that once you’ve bought all the components and factored in time for building.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

they are lighter. and you can get them cheaper.

Hadge
    Free Member

Goldtec Pro Comp hubs are lighter than Hope’s, therefore using the same nipples, spokes etc they will be lighter! DT240’s hubs are lighter too and I would have any of those compared to Hopes anyday. If your trying build to a spec, a few quid extra is well worth it IMO.

STATO
    Free Member

they are lighter. and you can get them cheaper.

Cheapest place ive seen that sort of build is from WheelPro, and they are £300 without alu nipples. And they are not lighter (the 3 bolt wheels include rotors in the 1500g). Ive got a set of american classics (loads light than hope) built on olympics with revs and alu nipples and they weigh a smidge under 1400g, so pro2 are at least 50-100 heavier, without the rotors the XC3 have.

STATO
    Free Member

From Just riding along…

Olympic rim+ Black Hope Pro II hubs + Black revs + Black alloy nipples
    QR, 15mm or 20mm front available.Approx weight 1460g/pair.

so 40 grams lighter than the XC3, but dont include rotors (at least another 150g)

Anthony
    Free Member

There is some crap spouted about weights. As mentioned in my original post;

I OWN and HAVE WEIGHED Olympics on Pro2’s with Revolution spokes and ally nipples. I OWN and HAVE WEIGHED the 355’s on Pro3’s.

The Pro3 wheelset IS lighter and they weigh 1506g WITHOUT ROTORS.

180mm 3bolt rotor is 127g
    160mm 3bolt rotor is 96g
    160mm 6bolt rotor is 78g

(The weights on the Hope website are somewhat optimistic)

My front wheels-

Olympic on Pro2 Rev/Ally + 160 floating rotor = 792g
    355 on Pro3 + 3-bolt rotor = 780g

Just to reiterate, these are the actual weights and should be accurate to within 0.1%.

They are hardly the superlight wheels they claim, but even so they are still considerably lighter than XTR and considerably cheaper and look bloomin lovely.

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Hi Anthony,you say the 3 bolt 160mm rotor weighs 96g.Is this the standard 3 bolt rotor or is it the lightweight version?
    Does anyone actually know the weight difference between the two??

coopersport1
    Free Member

I’m 14st have wheelpro pro3s on 355 and they’re great. Wouldn’t throw them through a rock garden but for xc and enduro you won’t get better for the money. And yes mine came in at 1506g

Anthony
    Free Member

Hi GSI-MAN, I didn’t know they did a lightweight/heavyweight option, although mine do look slightly chunkier to the one’s on the Hope site.

What is interesting,

The 24 Sapin spokes are 6g each with nipple
    Rims are lets guess 355g
    That leaves 186g for the front hub, which is quite heavy.

Norton
    Free Member

Please point me to anywhere you can get Pro2 built up on Olympics for 300 – my LBS is quoting $375

roger-m
    Free Member

The lightweight rotor has a couple of webs trimmed off, about 12g lighter (exact weights back in WP HQ). Only available on 140 and 160 rotors. Perhaps on rotors ‘more’ is better.

Also, Stans Yellow tape 5g, Tubeless valve 5g. ZTR355 is more like 370g.

Roger

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fair enough to buy the lightest hubs possible he money is no question, but there are often cheaper ways to save non rotating weight.

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Hi cynic-al please could you possibly elaborate??

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Has anyone used the “Lightweight”Hope 3 bolt rotors yet.Are they strong enough??

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I think cynic-al means that rotating weight can be better saved further away from the hubs – eg, a rim 40 gram lighter than another rim will have a greater effect on rotating weight than a hub 40 grams lighter than another hub. Tyres also. But I could be wrong!

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Hi shortbread_fanylion i think what cynic-al meant was you there are cheaper ways to save weight on NON rotating weight.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Has anyone used the “Lightweight”Hope 3 bolt rotors yet.Are they strong enough??

Been running them for 3 months now on my orange 5, at 14st was a bit sceptical but they’ve been great. Done the Gorrick 100k, trek marathon 100k and a few other events with on problems. They’ll get Mayhem’d next week end as well! Wouldn’t however reccomend for heavy stuff, occasinally I can hear the wheels flexing in the rocky stuff but they’ve stayed perfectly straight!
    All to get the 5 down to 25.4lb!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

anyone know the weight of hope hoops (pro 2s with stans flow rims)

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Ah yes – reading has never been my strong point!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Stans 355 rims with Hope 3 bolt hubs ??’ is closed to new replies.