Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • standing climb on a turbo trainer
  • muppetWrangler
    Free Member

i tried a standing climb the other night and got a bit worried by how much the bike was flexing about.

So do you ‘climb’ out of the saddle and if you do do you try and adopt a less side to side motion than on road? Or do you move as normal, confident in the knowledge that everything will be fine?

Cheers.

titusrider
    Free Member

I tend to reduce the side to side motion as much as possible so im out the saddle but fairly stationary

slight side note, anyone else get slipping against the metal roller as they increase resistance too much or try and put down alot of power?

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Would not want to do a full on Abdoujaparov and obviously the bike is held Vertical so not much chance of doing so but I have always got out of the seat a bit and had no trouble.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I did get slipping but then i bought one of the trainer specific tyres, (blue tacx I think) spent a little extra time setting it up and the slippage stopped.

stevemtb
    Free Member

The force of a standing climb and swinging side to side has to go somewhere.

Best case scenario is the trainer absorbs the forces.

More likely scenario is your frame, wheel or hub is absorbing the side to side force.

Not something I like to subject my bike to so I’d personally say it’s a bad idea.

ajc
    Free Member

I would say its a bad idea too after cracking my focus cayo with 1 session of fairly modest out of the saddle intervals.

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

You do see your frame flex when it is on a trainer.

Wonder how much more it flexes than when ridden on the road?

I noticed this more with old steel frame than current frame but you can see the bottom bracket deflecting sideways.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

ajc has put forward the most convincing argument so far!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

If the tyre is squealing then either pump it up harder or wind up the roller tension.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Seen cracked seatstays on a giant tcr fro it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘standing climb on a turbo trainer’ is closed to new replies.