Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • "Standards" – should I buy a frame with a 1+1/8" headtube?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Or will getting forks for it in the future be a problem?

Full sus 29er BTW

joao3v16
    Free Member

I reckon you’ll be fine with 1 1/8.

The 1.5″ or tapered steerer ‘standards’ don’t appear to have taken the world by storm.

I don’t see 1 1/8 disappearing any time soon.

clubber
    Free Member

I don’t see 1 1/8 disappearing any time soon.

+1

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks both

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My next bike will 100% not be governed by the head tube size.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Don’t worry, there’ll be another few ‘standards’ out before 1 & 1/8 become obsolete…

bigyinn
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder – Member

My next bike will 100% not be governed by the head tube size.
    Unicycle?

flange
    Free Member

Hmmm, I’m not so sure. I’ve now got two sets of tapered forks sat in boxes in the garage without frames to put them in. If you can, I’d look for 44mm where possible. That way you can put whatever fork you want in it

PJM1974
    Free Member

There will be demand for 1 1/8″ forks for a long time yet, despite the best efforts of the marketing space cadets.

+1 for 1.5″ headtubes. All bases covered.

kimbers

possibly tapered and definately 1.5 forks do seem to be a bit cheaper, especially s/h as they fit less frames

timc
    Free Member

Whats all this xx44 headtube sizes? what size steer do they take?

bunnerscj
    Free Member

44mm headtube is the way forward.
    Just heard that the Cotic Solaris with have a 44mm headtube, the new Salsa marachchhhejnfbbf 2 ?? has a 44mm headtube to name but a few.

Why 44mm… will take both 1,1/8 and tapered fork.
    They ‘will’ be the industry standard in time. 🙄

timc
    Free Member

will it also tke 1.5 steerer forks then?

swavis

1.5″ = 38.1mm so I reckon it would.

peachos
    Free Member

+1 for the 44 standard. whilst it wasn’t something i particularly looked for when i bought the mega (already had 1.125 fork) it’s got all bases covered. as someone said – lots of good deals on tapered/1.5 tubed forks around.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Not sure….with a tapered set up you need a 44mm external cup at the bottom and the standard inset one at the top. Im ‘guessing’ that as the bottom can work with an 44mm external cup then effectively the same type of cup can be used on the top.

Check

This being STW…someone will come along and confirm or correct me with some abusive ranting ! lol 🙄

jameso

XX44 is indeed what you’re best off with on a 29er or any bike with a long fork, ie 500mm or more. Why limit your options? Imo only.

Northwind

Considering that so many people with 1.5 or tapered headsets end up putting proper forks in them, don’t worry about it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘"Standards" – should I buy a frame with a 1+1/8" headtube?’ is closed to new replies.