Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Standard "What Car" Question
  • veedubba

First time I’ve polled the STW collective for advice so here it goes…

Due a new car, from a somewhat restricted list, so the simple question is which would you all choose – 2.0 Mondeo Titanium hatch, 2.0 Passat GT estate, 2.0 Skoda Superb SE Tech hatch?

Outliers include Mazda 6 SE-L 2.2 estate, Octavia estate in 1.6 or 2.0, SE Tech or SE L trim.

It’s very boring I know, but a bit of advice is appreciated!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Mondeo.

Never been a fan of VAG-wagens.

matt_outandabout

On the reliability of my Galaxy vs the line of VW’s we had before, I would go Ford. It is both cheaper to fix and has gone wrong less.

That said, the Superb does look good and wouldn’t be a total ‘no’ from me.

Yak

I wouldn’t pick any of the hatches, so it’s between the 2 bigger estates – the Mazda 6 or Passat. Company car? If so, then the comfiest of the 2.

iainc

only really can be one, given your user name… 🙂

veedubba

I’ve had an Octavia before and it was reliable enough, same for the Focus I used to have. I’ve never really had a dog of a car from any make (just to jinx that run of luck).

I’ve had a look at the Skoda and VW but not at the Mondeo in any depth yet.

Servicing and any **** ups are not a financial issue as it’ll be a lease. But I do a lot of miles, so inconvenience is a factor!

Cougar

If I were you, I’d book some test drives.

I’ve had a Mondeo and a couple of Passats, nothing wrong with the Passat but the Mondeo was just all-round better. The new Passat looks very nice though, I’ve not had a play with that one.

My experience with Skoda hasn’t been favourable. The last Octavia I drove (a few years ago, mind) had uncomfortable seats, and when I ventured into a Skoda dealership recently to discuss potential leasing I got a complete cock of a salesman, a cockney wide boy with sales patter straight out of the 70s. Of course, that’s an anecdote from a sample size of 1, the rest of them could be wonderful.

veedubba

I’ve had a look at a few of them. And I got a similar experience with the Skoda salesman yesterday, plus the dealership is 25 miles away.

ElShalimo

If you do a lot of miles the answer is easy – the most comfortable option

z1ppy

I think your top three options are all very good, for me it would be the Superb over the Mondeo or Passat, normally due to their value & refinement, but if space is premium the Passat wins. The Mondeo titanium over a Superb SE, seems a bit of a weird comparing prices/spec, as the Superb is usually great value, no idea about VW spec levels. Why do the Mondeo/Superb have to be hatches but the VW an estate? The flexibility of the estate seems a no brainer compared to any hatch.
    I’m searching for an Octavia estate but have looked/glanced at them all, as I struggle to locate the exact model I want (I’m in no major rush but am bored now).
    Mazda’s lack of rear view is a big put off for me, but supposed to be a good car (Mondeo underneath)

jeffl

Had an S-Max and wasn’t a huge fan. Preferred the Octavia, although it does have an irritating rattle that I’m chasing around.

Prefer the looks of the Superb but like people say, test drive.

TheFlyingOx

I’ve had a Superb estate for a year now and it’s great. Loads of room, very comfortable, plenty of toys, no issues with it and it’s just about to go through 130k miles. I’d happily have another. The only thing I think it could do with is a sunroof.

cheers_drive

I’ve has a Suberb SE Tech estate for a week now, it replaced an Octavia Scout. The Superb is a very good car, no major flaws or dislikes, it’s much more refined than the Octavia before in (both 2.0 diesel). The kit is incredible for the money and the perceived build quality is as good as Audi.

I’m lucky that our local approved Skoda service centre is great and dealer I got the lease deal from was very good too (Horton – if you are doing a personal lease I recommend using them.).

Inbred456
    Free Member

Mazda 6 is the best of those choices by a country mile. Estate every time over a hatch. There is something nice about sitting on your boot floor with the lid up in the rain with an estate having a post ride snack.

veedubba

The weird list and seemingly random collection of hatchbacks and estates is because it’s a company lease and I only get a list, not an unlimited choice. For example, I was all set for the Superb estate (not mentioned before) but it’s a 1.6 TDI which I’m a bit concerned will be underpowered. The Mondeo estate on the list is a lower spec than the hatch.

The boot on the Superb hatch is huge so I’m not that worried about losing the space versus an estate.

veedubba

Why the Mazda Inbred?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Standard "What Car" Question’ is closed to new replies.