Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Standard size or Over size?
  • dufresneorama
    Free Member

Currently building up an Inbred. My first steel frame.

Been pondering the Standard clamp size or OS Stem/Handlebar question.

Is there any advantages/disadvantages to either size? Also will the OS look a bit bulbous on a thinner steel frame?

cheers folks
    🙂

Pierre

Oversize (31.8mm) stem/handlebar combinations are generally meant to be stiffer and potentially stronger. I've never found good quality standard-size (25.4mm) stuff wanting, but then I've got a Thomson stem on the mountain bike I use most. If you're going for budget stuff, cheap oversize bits will probably be stiffer than cheap standard size.

How it looks, well , that's a different discussion!

: P

mboy
    Free Member

Never found normal (25.4) size stuff wanting in the stiffness department myself, particularly if you use decent kit (Thomson, Easton, Raceface for example). That said, 31.8 is pretty much guaranteed it's not going to be weaker!

Put it this way, if you've got some 25.4 bars and stem lying about, then they'll be fine. If buying new, mainly because of the extra choice and the fact that not much good 25.4 stuff is made any more, I'd buy 31.8. I've gone 31.8 on my bikes now (well, all but one, but that might end up going 31.8 soon enough) mainly for intercompatibility of parts between the bikes, and also so I don't have to mess about with different brackets for my bike light.

Pierre

…and if you're still not sure, I think most Easton oversize stems come with an Easton-specific shim so that you can use them with a standard size handlebar. Otherwise it's best not to mix the two sizes.

: P

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Great,

Thanks guys.

Think I'll prob go with OS bits. There does seem to be more choice.
    I'll be buying 2nd-hand off here I imagine, so i'll keep my eyes open for any bargains.

cheery
    Andy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Standard size or Over size?’ is closed to new replies.