Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Standard Kindle or Paperwhite?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Thinking of getting my daughter a Kindle or her 13th birthday. I’ve heard lots of good things about the Paperwhite but is the standard kindle still pretty good?
    I’m not sure how much she’ll use it so would rather not spend too much and reading in the dark isn’t really a requirement.
    Any thoughts?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

My wife got a paperwhite and never uses the light. If you want to read in the dark fine, but she just keeps the light on as usual. It’s easier to read than by using the backlight in the dark too.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I have the normal original Kindle and it is absolutely fine no problems at all.

turtleheading
    Free Member

Normal is fine. Like a book innit

ampthill

Paperwhite owner

I use the light every day as i read after lights out. It will also be great camping

but unless you need the light then its of little or no benefit

The touch screen does help buying book etc. but it can all be done fine on any Kindle

andyl
    Free Member

Touch is definitely nicer than the non-touch and I don’t think they do a non-paperwhite model without touch now do they?

I’d go paperwhite personally.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

If it’s for your daughter thought who you think might not use it that much, cheap and cheerful will be ample!

avdave2

They are not the most robust devices in the world so I would go with the cheapest option.

Cougar

Does she read in the dark? Paperwhite. If not, regular Kindle.

They have a fair mortality rate, but Amazon’s Kindle customer services are superlative if it does go wrong.

ampthill

They have a fair mortality rate, but Amazon’s Kindle customer services are superlative if it does go wrong.

Yes I think my kids clocked 5 replacements

But they have to learn to look after them within a year…..

atlaz
    Free Member

The regular one is fine. I’ve played with the touch too and wouldn’t pay a penny more for it than the basic, it’s just not needed.

Northwind

glasgowdan – Member

My wife got a paperwhite and never uses the light. If you want to read in the dark fine, but she just keeps the light on as usual. It’s easier to read than by using the backlight in the dark too.

Not backlit btw, frontlit. The light’s not just for reading in the dark, having it on low works better than the standard kindle screen IMO, higher contrast. Basically like reading a higher quality paper book.

But the standard one’s good too and probably does make more sense for kids.

andeh

I got a Paperwhite for Christmas and have clocked up plenty of hours since. Sometimes I read before bed and it’s great then (brightness set low, about 6/25) but it’s hard to tell the difference in daylight, unless you get into the higher brightness settings. I guess just go and have a play with a them and see which you like the best.

If it makes any difference, I’m glad I got the Paperwhite over the standard version.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Standard Kindle or Paperwhite?’ is closed to new replies.