Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Stand Up Paddling
  • grantyboy
    Free Member

looking to get into stand up paddling. Just got my wetsuit so now looking at the rest of the kit. Does anyone else on here do SUPing and could give me some pointers.

Is it something I could just give it a go or should I look into lessons?

tazzymtb

funnily enough something I’ve dabbled with but want to get more seriously into…I was going to talk to purveyor of things niche and surf chappy extraordinaire Charlie the bikemonger 😀

weeksy

WTF is it ?

pictonroad

I had a go, it was a bit boring after MTBing, mate lives on the beach and he’s sold his board after giving it a couple of years.

If it was a rocky shore and I had somehwere to actually ‘go’ then I can see the appeal. Surfing the small waves was fun but I’d rather be on my bike.

good upper body workout if that’s your thing.

sandwicheater

Mother in law is out most days (sunny Australia) and loves it.

She prefers it over Kayak for posture and I think to look cool.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m into it, been into it for 7years..

It’s Ace, it’s better than surfing, it’s a bit wierd looking at someone doing it, it’s not cheap as boards are >£1k for aa decent one, It’s easy to get into take a look at SUP forum for UK based “sea sweeping”.

River or Estury or Sea?

Diffo boards for each environment, you can get a do it all board but depends if you are any good to start with.

Beginner? then a board 11ft+ is best.
    Inter? then <10ft and depends on where you use it..
    Expert, you don’t need my advice.

Done surfing before? forget that, it’s more windsurfing based without the sail and you’ll be standing up not belly wobbling..

Need somewhere to go? Come to Hayling Island Sailing Club and I’ll show you around.. theres 200 or so of us.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

I’ve surfed at my local beach for 20 years and over the last 3-4 years the number of SUPers has steadily increased.

IMHO, it seems to attract those people who want to be seen doing the ‘latest’ thing in a vain attempt to look cool/Hawaiian.

I have thought about picking one up a couple of times, but I’ve always come to the conclusion that it looks a bit dull.

I prefer a normal board when there are waves, and for flatter days I’ve got a good inflatable kayak so I can fill it up with kids/lunch/whatever and head off for a few hours. Can’t do that on an SUP.

I’d say that a lesson would probably be a good idea, especially if you haven’t surfed before. Not least because it will give you a chance to see if you like it without forking out for expensive kit.

pictonroad

I project managed the sea defences behind hayling Island Yacht Club, know it well. Don’t need another hobby, not got time to ride the bike! 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

^ Yay!! excellent. Well you’ll know Eastoke Point, on an ebb with a SW’ly blowing 10knts you can get some awesomnez 3fters pealing L to R..

Neat.

However SUP’s can be used in anything from 1ft ripples to full on swell, I’d go 1ft’ers first in fairly shallow water, say off the front at Hayling, then roll in with the waves, fall over, get up, paddle on..
    and on..
    and on..

Then come join us lot 😀

fasthaggis

I think it looks silly.

winston
    Free Member

Its great fun but has cons as well as pro’s

Firstly the hard boards are insanely expensive, heavy and difficult to transport and store. There are loads of inflatable options but I’ve never tried one so can’t comment on performance of those

its definitely not ‘cool’!

surfing a SUP in anything larger than 2ft slop becomes quite hard till you know what you’re doing and the consequences of messing up in a crowded break does not make you friends

Flat water Supping is great but its suprising how often the water is choppy or there is a swell running – this is not fun and is like being on a windsurfer with no wind

I used to live in France and we would sup to a break on smaller days from 1 or 2 miles down the beach, surfing the odd rogue wave as we went – then just surf the edge of a break where the waves were easier to get on a sup but where we didn’t get in the way of other surfers – then paddle back to our uncrowded and free car park. This is what they were invented for in my opinion

But when its firing – well then you want a proper board!

grantyboy
    Free Member

how easy is it to get the hang of? I’m a snowboarder, 14 years, so my balance is pretty sorted on a board

winston
    Free Member

On flat water on a big board (11ft plus) your granny could do it and frequently does

However it get harder in waves….though why you would bother I’m not sure

Seriously though, make sure you try it out in surf somewhere small and uncrowded first – those boards weigh a ton and you will fall off a lot to start with if you’ve never surfed (or even if you have as they respond like oil tankers)

righog
    Free Member

Funnily enough this popped up on my facebook page today, (from a freind to another freind), looks like a beginners board.

Ebay SUP

Never tried it myself, but really want to get back on the water doing something, I am waiting to go on a kitesurf course, but no wind lately.

brack
    Free Member

Yeah love it… Ignore the ‘niche. ‘ label .. It’s been around long enough to get past that cynical nonesense given out by city folk.

If you live by a beach, love the water and local waves aren’t 24/ 7 epic then why wouldn’t you ?

grantyboy
    Free Member

thanks

So would an inflatable board do to get me start, or should I look at getting a solid board. Would I notice a big difference between the two?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Looks great fun 🙂

grantyboy
    Free Member

thanks, but no selfies please gofasterstripes 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Any better?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Steer clear of inflatable’s, many think they’re an easy fit/fix but honestly they’re rubbish. Early ones flex so S/h means they’ll bend in the middle, which is just wrong. New design means they’re better but still expensive so I’d stay really clear unless space is a REAL problem.
    You can get “pop outs” for Circa £500, NSP and a few others do them, they’re blown foam with GRP “decks” absolutely fine for all types of Paddling but a bit heavy, but then that’s the payoff, heavy and cheap, light and expensive etc. etc. Think of a surfing Mal or MiniMal and you’re not too far away except SUP’s are wider by definition (for stability) and thicker (for buoyancy)
    New 11ft’ers+ from Starboard the normal route round our way, the ones with the deck inserts for windsurf rigs (for a bit of light wind action) the way to go.
    Beware, you can’t get inserts retro fitted in “pop outs”, there’s no strength in them for the inserts to go into and a mast track will not last 5mins either, so if you go the windsurf route then make sure the inserts are all ready there. You can get boards without, cheaper(ish) and be keen to choose wisely because if you even consider going the windsurf route it’s best to get one board first time around that will take a rig, than changing your mind halfway through the year etc.
    RoHo, BlueCHip, AndyBiggs watersports to name a few online dealers will give you and idea about cost and availability but these three are not the only ones, internetz your friend here.
    There is a HUGE event later in the year, Hayling Island Windfest is all about watersports in general that are paddle/wind powered and is normally in the first weekend of Sept. It’s an event that attracts thousands of people into SUP’ing, windsurfing, kiting etc. and well worth a day out. There are coaches, training, holiday companies, Brands all present and all sorts of helpful folk there.
    Shame as you’ve just missed our (HISC) windsurf and paddleboard event at the club, we run a “round the island race” and paddleboard event on Good Friday every year.
    You’ve not mentioned where you are in the country, there are many paddleboard clubs popping up all over the place, even the Thames has one near Richmond.. etc..

grantyboy
    Free Member

cheers bikebouy!!

I’m up in Aberdeen

winston
    Free Member

This one looks quite a good shape v value from Decathlon (£575) and has a mastfoot hole as well

olddog

You can hire SUPs at most places that have surf hire I think. Certainly at one of my local breaks, and where I was surfing this morning. That would seem a sensible approach, I would also have at least one lesson if you haven’t surfed – there is etiquette you need to learn and safety stuff about rips and the like.

I’ve not tried it, if there’s a swell, I’d sooner be surfing – it’s taken me bloody long enough to reach a good enough standard! Not problem with it though, just get in the water and enjoy.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I think it looks silly.

I disagree…I think it looks **** ridiculous! 8)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Steer clear of inflatable’s, many think they’re an easy fit/fix but honestly they’re rubbish.

Really? Round our way 95% of the boards are inflatable. 100% used for just messing in flattish water though and no racing which is where the rigid boards are better.
    I’ve also read that inflatable are also more hard wearing.
    We’ve got an old Poly one which I’m hoping to replace this year with an inflatable as the kids find it easier to carry.

bikebouy
    Free Member

@winston, length and width?

Looks ok from here, might be worth a punt that..

Ohhh yeah Paddle…. don’t forget that. Some boards come with paddles some don’t, check that out. Some online retailers throw them in FOC, some give discounts etc.
    The cheaper ones are Alloy and plastic blades, bit heavy and cumbersome when flipping from one hand to the other but essentially fine for your first stint at it. They’re strong enough for starting/stopping/avoiding things/flipping sand as they bend rather than break. Make sure you get it sealed up both ends with silicone so the air doesn’t leak or let water in because if you drop it in the drink (you will) it’ll float/should float. Price? about £50-£90 should you have to buy separate. Then moving up to Carbon it’ll be waaaay better but cost more typically £150+ Don’t bother until you take SUP’ing semi seriously..

Leash, get one, get it tied to the back of your board and make sure you’ve got about 3mtrs to play with, make sure the ankle strap is secure. You will fall off, you will fall off and kick your board as you go plop, pulling the board back to you for recovery and buoyancy is a necessity only you will find once you head dip.

Wetsuit, 4/3 or 5/3 long arm/long leg for UK unless it’s spring then a 3/2 semi will do until the sun shines then boardies.. But you are in bloody Scotland so a drysuit with a thermal longjohn and electric blanket wrap I’d suggest.. However you will get very hot if putting some effort in, it’s a pay off between keeping warm in the drink or overheating whilst Paddling.

Buoyancy Aid, always a good idea, many cheap ones around for £50 until you get used to swatting seagulls. Make sure it’s asymmetric so you can have lots of arm movement (minimal where the buoyancy is in the body not arms)

Bit of advice, take a warm flask of tea, UK’s a great place for Paddling, but once you get off you’ll get mighty cold quickly…

Spray Tan.. for those early season change in the carpark moments..

NO, repeat NO budgie Smugglers.. 😆

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Stand Up Paddling’ is closed to new replies.