Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Stanage Edge?
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

The first time I rode Stanage I rode the causeway on the right and wasn't too overly impressed with the extra road miles for that section of downhill. This time I am aware of a better section of descent to the left that runs down in front of the edge to a car park.

When I got there yesterday it was shrouded in thick fog and snowing hard but I rode past Stanage Pole and got to the section where the trail veers right. On my left was a short bit of trail to what looked like two pieces of fence. There was also a post with a walker symbol on stating access land. I could also see walkers.

So I rode on a little further to find another trail on the left just before the start of the causeway descent. It also had a post stating access land. It skirted across the top of the edge on a sandy peice of singletrack. It also looked like it met with the trail that I'd seen previously. So I opted for this but met walkers coming in the opposite direction. I asked them if this led down in front of the edge and they said yes but its a footpath that consists of flagstone steps?? One even called it Jacobs Ladder?

So rather than arse about spending time on top of the edge in the fog and snow I turned back and headed down the causeway.

So my question is "Where the bloody hell is it then?"

steveh

Head along the main path up to the pole. Then head along the flat top section of the causeway path until you see a single post on the left hand side. From here there is a short flagged section running toward the edge. Go across this and follow the path round to the right. This continues along the edge and up on to a rocky lump. The planation path is down to the left of here. It heads in the same direction you've come from for a short distance before a left hand hairpin to come back on yourself and down the hill. All the first section is flagged. There are 2 gates during the decent but they're not too awkward.

I'm a local and never really ride the causeway path, the cliff/plantation path is so much better. Oh and Jacobs ladder is somewhere completely different so don't know what the walker was on about with that.

Brown
    Free Member

It's where you were the first time, and it leads to – the 'footpath' of flagstone steps (not actually stepped though and definitely not called Jacob's Ladder.).

Turn L as the main track bends right. Follow the track towards the edge and then around to the right by the fence, parallel with the edge. It's probably hard to find if you don't know where it is, but as it gets closer to the edge, it gets more technical and then drops down around a wide left hand hairpin.

steveh

I thought from the description the first point you mentioned was very near the pole? If so you have to follow the main path for a while further yet before you get to the path you want. You don't have to cross any fences/even get near particularly any I can think of.

cp

it's only a footpath across the top of stanage – the 'flagstone steps' descent is a bridleway.

HansRey

this sounds like the saltpath to me. Am i right? As for lessening the road miles, what about going to Bamford afterwards? There are a few offroad routes

porterclough
    Free Member

What's steveh said. It's not near the pole, there's a good long flattish section first. Turn off left on the flagstone section that seems to go nowhere, after a dip and a right turn you reach a gap in the edge and then there's a sharp left and drop in on rocks followed by more slabs of rock going down toward the plantation followed by more flags, and it comes out by the car park. You'll more likely encounter climbers walking up to the edge rather than red socks types.

It's not "the" Jacob's ladder, but there are any number of paths that people locally refer to as Jacob's ladder, so some walkers might well call it that… though they are of course wrong 😉

So basically, you were right first time I think, even though it does look like it goes nowhere at first glance. Carry on a bit and see, when you get to the left hand hairpin you should see the entire path going down to the plantation. And the walkers are also wrong about it being a footpath, it's definitely a bridleway.

jonjon

yep those flagstones are the Plantation descent – superb, the best bit is still under a snowdrift!

All bridleway, but obviously busy with other users on a sunny weekend.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Thanks folks, appreciated, will check it out next weekend (if I'm riding in that area).

So the first point I got to with a single post on my left after a 200-300m flat straight section after Stanage Pole was correct? It heads off to the left on a short undulating muddy/flagstone track towards what looks like the edge? Bum! Next time for sure 🙂

steveh

yup sounds like you were right, the flag section off the main path is only 10-20m long then turn right and follow the path round to the edge.

antigee

my best effort
    from stanage pole 200-300m right hand bend (main track heads to causeway know if gone too far as wall appears on left)

straight ahead over a single plank "bridge" post low down with black(!ie not consistent with any known marking system) bridleway sign

after 20m or so rutted sandy path turn right again should be a little marker post saying bridleway

(to left "no cycling signs")

40-50m trending slighlty leftish keeping near big drops on left with valley to left and on sandy rutted single track trending to rock paved path

at natural break in edge now on rock paved path turn almost a 180degree on (i can't do) rocky drop off to follow well worn slabby rock path down with big boulders on left thru woods

in fog/mist hard

About 10 of us rode it last night. You'd be forgiven for missing the hairpin at the top, as it's still under a couple of feet of snow, forcing a bit of a hike a bike. It's still a cracking run down though – and be sure to do the little grassy drop off after the 2nd gate at the bottom. Or forever be called a girl.

As an aside – the first time I rode Stanage was in the dark with crappy twin 10w halogens – that was interesting.

abductee
    Free Member

Yes, the snow was still covering the hairpin this afternoon so we went down the causeway. Had to walk over snow drifts in a couple of places. The rest of the ride was clear of snow but looking over towards Kinder Scout it seemed white.

Never….

Choose….

The….

Causeway!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I FOUND IT!…AT LAST! Although it was miserbale up on Stanage Edge this morning (such a contrast to when I set off from Sheffield) which is why I got a little lost again at first.

I took the turn off at the first access land/bridleway marker only to get to the edge and to my left was a 'walkers only no cycling' sign. So I followed the path along the ledge to my right (as stated above) and clocked the flagtone/rocky hairpin.

As you said abductee its still under snow so no bl00dy wonder I didn't see/find it the first time. The descent is not as fast and flowy as I imagined and interupted by gates but good technical fun all the less.

Ha, yes theartistformerly, I did the grass drop off after the second gate. That was the highlight 🙂

abductee
    Free Member

I wish I'd done it today. I went back to give it another go on Friday and the weather was truly miserable, cold horizontal rain and wind chill. The snow has hardly changed since last week. There was less walking down the plantation than down the causeway as the snow is only at the top.

The descent is not as fast and flowy as I imagined and interupted by gates but good technical fun all the less

That's it though, it's never going to be flowy, but speed is still your friend on the top section. I love it for it's technicality and find the gates are in the right place as not to disturb the run too much.

The drop-off was your highlight – really?

I have seen it done 'flowy' though – by some nutter on a video. A website called monkey something or other???????

AndyPaice
    Free Member

A website called monkey something or other???????

monkeyspoon.com?

Yes, I thought it was, but just found it and had a look. The only Stanage vid is quite lame.

duncan

This chap makes a pretty good job of it I reckon:

http://vimeo.com/3866327

Aye, that's the one. Not sure why I thought it was on monkeyspoon??????

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Wow, that fella rides it with some skill. I seriously doubt I looked like that on Saturday morning 🙂

TheArtist, I was having a bad 'riding' day on Saturday and completely lacked concentration and confidence throughout. Totally ar5ed up the first two sections hence the drop off being the highlight.

I'll be riding it on a regular basis as part of my local loop repertoire so I'm sure I'll improve and enjoy it more.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Stanage Edge?’ is closed to new replies.