Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stams rims, arch ex or flow ex for 29 er..
  • pastypunk

I’m sure this has been asked before but I’m new on here, ride a 29 er stump jumper fsr for general xc/ trail riding, need to replace the original roval wheels, was looking at hope hoops pro2 on either arch ex or flow ex, leaning more towards the flows for added security, will the weight difference be that much? Quite happy with the weight of my current wheels around 2100g for the pair but like the idea of wider rim, looked at arches today but looked quite flimsy. Thanks for the help.

nickdavies

Take a look at the Kinesis maxlights?

I’ve ordered a pair so no feedback yet but for a bit less than hopes you get an arch weight wheel with flow size and stiffness. Bit less money too, but you only get 9/15mm front options and spindle QR/142×12 rear, so may or may not be any good.

I was thinking the same as you re. hope arch or flow before I came across these.

Shackleton

Arches aren’t flimsy. For UK trails they are fine. If you are a big lad, clumsy rider or want to run big tyres then the flows could be better but they are definitely heavier.

pastypunk

Thanks guys, I have looked at the kinesis wheels, just a bit put off by aluminium spoke nipples as they have caused me the problems with wheels in the past, be interested to hear what you think of them when they arrive.
    I tend to run 2.3 tyres and my local terrain in Cornwall is quite rocky, just hear that the flows are a bit stiffer and extra width gives better tyre support, they come out about 100g lighter than my existing wheels. I’m about 13 stone/83kg, but not a big jump or drop rider but also not a pure wheels on the ground rider. This is my only bike used for everything.

grum
    Free Member

Arches are pretty tough. Couple of people I know ride them fairly hard round here (pretty rocky) and in the Lakes with no issues.

boxelder

If not bothered about weight you should go for flow, otherwise you’ll always be wishing you had.
    That said, I ride arch and crest around rocks of the lakes, and I’m heavier than you.

nuke

Arch ex is like a reinforced Crest. This pic shows the differences…

I reckon based on where, what you ride & your weight that the arch ex would be fine. You could always do a mix and go with a flow rear if you’re concerned

vorlich
    Free Member

I have ArchEXs on my 29er and Flows on my 26er. The Arches aren’t flimsy, but I find the Flows support the tyre better.

Occasionally on off camber bits, the rear Arch feels like a bit squirmy. I’m 15+stone though and although I generally run lowish pressures, the Arch still does this when inflated more than usual.

I’ve only noticed this with a Geax Saguaro though, so it may be the combination of rim/tyre, I hadn’t noticed the issue with a Maxxis Beaver over winter, it may be in part due to tyre profile. YMMV.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stams rims, arch ex or flow ex for 29 er..’ is closed to new replies.