Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stainless steel splashback, where from? Alternatives?
  • IA

I’m after something for the wall behind my (freestanding) gas cooker.

I was thinking a stainless splashback, any recommendations as to where from?

Suggestions as to other materials, or to just tile it also welcome. I need to think about behind worktops/sink also… kitchen will be off-white shaker style, but the cooker and hood are already stainless.

globalti
    Free Member

Toughened glass painted on the back? Your local glass merchant can supply.

We always get the glass etched so as to give the paint a good key.

This is our utility room done with painted glass:

ericemel
    Free Member

Stainless might be a magnet for smears, I know when I have worked in kitchens it was always a nightmare to keep clean.

I went for quartz to match the counters.

skiboy
    Free Member

I have a stainless steel one I cut from a sheet of 5mm thick 316L plate then machined to size. but that’s just bragging.

Yep they stain or water mark very easy but baby oil is your friend, clean them with this and bobs your uncle. the original one I had was made from Inconel 925 but looked too dull besides it was never going to get that hot !!

sandwicheater

Friends have it and constantly complain about how it always looks dirty/smudged.

IA

Glass ones intrigue… presumably cutouts for the sockets need to be exactly specified as it’ll need doing during manufacture? Glass might not work for my not-entirely-flat 115 year old walls…

Good point re: cleaning, though we had one in the last flat I lived in and it seemed ok. Brushed stainless rather than say polished. Maybe cos it’s not taking the abuse of a commercial kitchen?

skiboy – 5mm stainless?! What are you cooking that requires the wall be armoured? 😉

Tracey

We have a glass one sprayed up to coordinate with our tiles

mlpinto
    Free Member

I have a stainless one, bought ready cut to size. It’s brushed and not to hard to keep clean and I’m pretty happy with it after about 7 or 8 year’s use..

I think mine is pretty much the same as this Screwfix linky

skiboy
    Free Member

IA,

If you had access to all those stainless sheets what would you have done, gone for the for the thin stuff ??? 😉

mj27
    Free Member

Have had the same issue, we settled on a mirror, it helped to see what was going on behind, easy to clean and cheaper.

IA

Toughened glass mirror I assume?

Not sure if I could cope with staring at myself cooking 😉 Might also get my hopes up there was twice as much dinner as there is too. I can see how it might work in the right kitchen though.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I bought one like the screwfix link brand new for £10 off Ebay.

Might be worth a look.

Rio

We got a piece of stainless steel cut to size by a local sheet metal supplier. Cheap as chips, easy to keep clean (baby oil or WD40) and pretty indestructible. We found the supplier by Googling; it pretty much needs to be somewhere you can go and pick it up otherwise you’ll pay more in delivery charges than you pay for the steel.

IA

Screwfix one linked (and others) is MDF backed steel, some are just plain steel sheet. Not quite sure what the advantages of backed steel are? Is it just if I want to get it flush with tiles?

Moses

A year or so ago, we had a 2 sheets cut to size & delivered from Clickmetal, fast & easy. I used a no-nails equivalent to glue it behind the hob. It looks good. The long thin piece is an upstand above the sink, under the window ledge.

http://www.clickmetal.co.uk

———————————————————–
    1 x Stainless Steel Sheet 0.9mm – 2mm
    1.2mm Thickness (SS123)
    Length – 770mm
    Width – 568mm
    GBP 30.65 + GBP 6.13 VAT (20%)
    ———————————————————–
    1 x Stainless Steel Sheet 0.9mm – 2mm
    2.0mm Thickness (SS22)
    Length – 1758mm
    Width – 37mm
    GBP 10.76 + GBP 2.15 VAT (20%)
    ———————————————————–
    Shipping
    Standard Carriage – Mainland UK
    GBP 9.95 + GBP 1.99 VAT (20%)
    ———————————————————–
    Order Value = GBP 51.36
    VAT = GBP 10.27
    Total = GBP 61.63
    (GBP = British Pounds)
    ———————————————————–

singletrackmind

I bought a sheet of peacock eye marbled stainless steel sheet from a company who made commercial kitchens. Its sometimes called machine block finish and the patterns mean any stains are less obviuos .

MOunted it on 3mm chipboard with silicone sealant. 10 years later and it still looks boss.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stainless steel splashback, where from? Alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.