Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Stage PM – what can you tell me?
  • Kryton57

In order to get accurate power across 3 bikes (road, winter & turbo) with minimal fettling it seems the simple solution is stages 105 crank arm. I probably just have to suck it up make the investment.

Easy to move across bikes and just works without fettling constantly. Or is it?

chilled76
    Free Member

I can tell you we’ve had a few threads on power meters that are a good read and that the general consensus is that the 4iii is better than stages (reliability) if that’s the type you want.

Kryton57

OK, cheaper too. But I read on ~DC Rainmaker the 4iiii needs “zero-ing” before every ride which sound like something I’d forget and fly into a rage about after I got home from a ride…

nathb
    Free Member

The stages and 4iiii both should be zeroed- I rented a stages then bought a 4iiii. It’ll soon be part of your routine.

GregMay
    Free Member

Pretty much all PMs need to have a zero offset calibration. Depending on the head unit you use with the Stages you still have to perform it – unless the firware has changed.

I’ve an XT Stages on my race MTB – offset is done at start up – placed at a specific angle to the ground – calibration runs – it is done.

SRM on my CX bike is more fiddly. Powertap (no longer own) was a simple click…hold…release.

It’s easy when you get used to it. If you don’t zero, your numbers aren’t repeatable to each other as the offset is different.

As for interchangeability – if you can change a NDS crankarm, it’s that hard. So not really that hard.

I’ve eyes on a PM for my X0 crankset, but not yet.

djglover
    Free Member

I had stages. Now Bepro pedal. I find that easier to switch between bikes, plus I can use it on campag and shimano bikes.

It is more reliable too so far.

Really like it

Kryton57

Right thanks.

Probikekit have 12% off and free delivery, I may have to buy one and have consistent power for the first time in my life..!

Kryton57

And now I’ve discovered one bike is 172.5 the other 175 cranks… aaaarrgh!

mrblobby
    Free Member

The stages and 4iiii both should be zeroed- I rented a stages then bought a 4iiii. It’ll soon be part of your routine.

You can get your Garmin to prompt you when it starts up.

And now I’ve discovered one bike is 172.5 the other 175 cranks… aaaarrgh!

I doubt you’d notice 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the 4iii PM’s – it’s easy to move between bikes and while mine is on an 172.5 arm I’ve also used it on a 175 chainset without noticing any issues.

The zero before each ride thing isn’t an issue and I think is common with other PM’s as well (to do with things like changes in temperature affecting results) – it takes a few seconds plus the couple of times I’ve forgotten the results have still seemed ok.

Kryton57

Quite 🙂

I’m getting the 172.5 to match the road bike on the basis that I lean that one, whereas I don’t lean the turbo bike. I also use an old pair of shoes on the turbo bike which has wedge on the L/H cleat and when I got new road shoes I never bothered to add a wedge, so a balance then 😀

TiRed

Well your single sided balance must be off by 172.5/175 straight away 😉 . I’ve broken too many Stages to think about other options. Quark for the TT bike or Vector to move between bikes. I probably should have gone with a powertap in the disc wheel, but I won’t be training on that 😉

Kryton57

When I had the Infocrank, I was consistently 49/51 – My left leg is shorter than my right so I’m restoring the balance 🙂

In what will be a shock to you all – job done, I’ve bought it, thread closed 😀

Thanks for the assist.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Stages?

Awaits the opening of various “it’s stopped working / why is my battery flat again?” threads 🙂

Kryton57

No the precision 4iiii

Now with battery level indicator on the HU 😉

adsh
    Free Member

I’ve used a Stages for nearly 3 years. It’s a great training aid.

Some pointers:-

It will give different results to other power meters so you will need to do an FTP test for your Stages power zones

Your body will gradually learn that left leg effort counts and your left leg will probably get stronger

Do not under any circumstances equate Stages power to Friel categories or indeed willy wave on results. Either I have an elite left leg and sport right leg or it over reads for me.

It’s a great training tool.

wellywheels
    Free Member

Zero off set and calibration are two different things.

Avoid Stages, one of the most unreliable power meters out there. Large deviation between units themselves, up to -6% and 8%, potentially influenced by leg length differences; it does reduce as PO increases thou. Sensitive to vibrations which causes issues with cadence and therefore the PO. PM’s need to be valid, sensitive, reproducible and robust; something which Stages currently is not.

Can’t really comment on 4iii, only anecdotal evidence, sure DC rainmaker may have some comments on it.

nathb
    Free Member

I have a Mio head unit @mrblobby, but if I select power workout it zeros it before starting – so technically auto 😆

Kryton57

The 4iiii arrived, it took 5 mins to put on, 5 mins to update the firmware, 30 secs to calibrate and im off. Two rides already, looks no different from a 105 5800 arm which I guess it is.

This is the simplicity i wanted in my PM when swapping bikes. The powerpod will remain as permanant on the TT bike as that has FSA cranks, and power is kind of supplementary to RPE there, but now i have summer, winter & turbo power all using the same measure. Nice.

Big up to 4iiii for ease of use.

mrblobby
    Free Member

20% off the 4iii at ProBikeKit right now using code 4EYE20.

Kryton57

Always the way, I only managed 10% off the other week. 😐

Very happy with mine. Simple, easy to use/swap works on everything and Panasonic batteries of which 2 were supplied in the box anyway were £3.00 for 12 from Amazon – yay.

9 hours ridden and power indicated at 95% on the original battery.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Stage PM – what can you tell me?’ is closed to new replies.