Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Stag do that's not really a stag do in the highland – HELP!
  • eightyeight
    Free Member

I’m arranging a stag do for a friend of mine. However, this is his second attempt so he wants something mega low key – four in total (him, best man, other best mate and his brother).

Basically, we’re looking for somewhere in the highlands / other Scottish national park to get away from it all. Preferably a cabin, bit of wild swimming, lots of walking, fire lighting, whiskey drinking and book reading (mental aren’t we…)

Has anyone got any specific suggestions? We will have to go in school holidays as half of us are teachers, if that makes any difference

Cheers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

watch ‘Stag’ on iplayer.

perfecto.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Is that like a 18-30s travel program for “stags”, cause that really is not the vibe we’re going for…

nickjb
    Free Member

Is that like a 18-30s travel program for “stags”

It really isn’t.

thenorthwind

Sounds like a bothy is what you want, assuming you don’t mind the risk of uninvited beardy fatbikers.

johndoh
    Free Member

eightyeight
    Free Member

Ah just googled it. I really like Tim Key so will to check that out.

We’ve done some touring in the past, so have lightweight tent etc. Really, just hoping for recommendations on location?

jemima
    Free Member

Crikey – you can literally go anywhere so hard to pin it down. What I would say though is that if you fancy any other activities at all, or might fancy an evening in a bar, then Aviemore area could be a good shout. We had a stag do around there. Camped by Loch Moy in a yurt (ours). Went kayaking on Loch Morlich, shot clays at Rothiemuirchus etc Was good. Plenty of walking and wild swimming available.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Beer, stripper, curry. Can’t be that hard to organise?

eightyeight
    Free Member

@jemima – that looks just the ticket!

The overwhelming choice is the problem – i didn’t know where to start!

bigjim

SOmewhere near Loch Morlich near Aviemore would be my suggestion, depends whether you want your cabin to be near other cabins or in the middle of nowhere though. p.s. you can still get gentlemen’s dancing entertainment in rural locations, there is a website for it, perhaps don’t expect the creme de la creme though…

jemima
    Free Member

That is the problem. There is an increasing trend for ‘forest holidays’ where you can stay in small wooden cabins up to luxury massive wooden chalets if that was of interest. Maybe try googling that for areas.

If you wanted more remote and less diversions I’d be tempted to look at the Gairloch area…

p.s. you can still get gentlemen’s dancing entertainment in rural locations, there is a website for it, perhaps don’t expect the creme de la creme though…

Just make sure you don’t get ‘crazy Maggie’ from Fort William…

We even have a chentleman’s club in Inverness now! Much to the disconcert of the Wee Frees…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

What about Knoydart? Get the ferry to Inverie, you’ve got the old forge inn (remotest pub in Britain) and a few other places too.

http://www.theoldforge.co.uk/

Plenty of accommodation options in the area

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

&+1 for Knoydart.

Or if you want “away from it all”, the Hutchison Memorial Hut in Choire Etchacan, Cairngorms

basic

nearest swimming pool is about 10 mins away

HansRey

absolutely nothing to contribute if you’re looking at bothies. But what about getting a boat? You’re a small group so I reckon it should be pish to find something suitable. You can also visit a few places, moor up and go for walks, or jump off and go for a swim.

scotroutes

Badaguish has 4/5 berth wooden wigwams and some larger cabins (or you can camp).
    There is a dedicated BBQ area/hut you can use, or take your own disposables (but not on the grass please).
    It also has its very own pumptrack for guests use.
    There’s a nice wee loop over Meall a Buachaille and Craigowrie if you fancy a walk. It has some of the best views of the Cairngorms.
    You are a short stroll from Loch Morlich and its wee beach.
    You can hire kayaks/dingys etc.
    The Pine Marten bar is on your way to Loch Morlich and Glenmore Lodge is just slightly further away.
    Aviemore is about 10km down the Old Logging Way so cycle or a short car/taxi ride.

Visit The Vault at your peril.

CraigW
    Free Member

If you want to proper get away from it all, I’d go for a small island.
    eg Rùm and Eigg are both nice. They have a variety of accommodation – wooden wigwams or cabins or yurts or bunkhouses etc. There are a couple of bothies on Rùm, though it is a fair walk to get to them.
    Plenty of nice walking, or boat trips, or kayaking etc.

TomB

Canoe and camp the Caledonian Canal? Haven’t done it but something we will do with the family soon. You can get a lot of whiskey in an open canoe……..

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Mmmm, eaten alive by midges or more teacher shop talk?eaten alive by midges or more teacher shop talk?eaten alive by midges or more teacher shop talk?eaten alive by midges or more teacher shop talk? Can’t decide. Shoot myself.

HTH

Waderider
    Free Member

Hutchie Hut photos above are well out of date. Bothy has been virtually rebuilt including a stove. No doubt even busier than before now given the decadence!

No idea where you should go, but don’t overlook the borders.

seosamh77
    Free Member
    Albanach
    Free Member

I had my stag at the Clachaig Inn which I reckon could be a good shout. Good food and beer etc

kcal

@Albanach – me too!!
    Great weekend. Can’t recall much beyond about 2330 though :0)

dragon
    Free Member

How about something on the Balmoral estate in the Cairngorms:

Balmoral Cottages

Or look at National Trust Scotland, they have some interesting accommodation.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Stag do that's not really a stag do in the highland – HELP!’ is closed to new replies.