Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Staffordshire Trail Suggstions
  • nageeknitram
    Free Member

Unfortunately I live in Stoke on Trent and therefore have limited local trails.

I've got the day off tomorrow and whilst I don't want to travel as far as Wales I was wondering if anyone knows of any other waymarked trails other than Follow the Dog at Cannock – don;t mind travelling about an hour.

Cheers

wellhung
    Free Member

There are other marked trails.

If you go either to Swinnertons in Birches Valley
    http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/recreation.nsf/LUWebDocsByKey/EnglandStaffordshireNoForestCannockForestSwinnertonCycleCentre

or Mammoth in Milford ST17 0UW

or

http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/chasemaps.php

for more info such as maps

scruff
    Free Member

Nothing waymarked but plenty of trails over Hanchurch. Your near the Peak district, navigation is pretty easy and millions of good routes on Tinternet. Buxton, Hope, Macc Forest etc

Nearest waymarked apart from FYD is probably Llandeglla.

thefallguy
    Free Member

What about the 3 counties ride (Derbyshire, Cheshire and Staffordshire) from the cat & fiddle pub near Buxton?

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/routes/hollinsclough.htm

parkesie
    Free Member

Stoke mtb club They dont seen to be as active as they used to be but a wealth of trails are to be had on club rides.

nageeknitram
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Not a fan of Hanchurch, although if some serious money was spent on it, it could be awesome place to ride

Think the 3 Counties ride sounds interesting

Cheers

enfht
    Free Member

Trentham?

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Try the Grimey Lymies

http://www.lymeracingclub.co.uk/MTB.html

I've not riden with them, but know a few people that do – they have social rides and do a fair few races.
    Good routes round Macc Forest/buxton/Leek – thats not too far away

edit – just seen a post above on the 3 counties ride – looks good and when at the cat and fiddle there are loads of options for some good down hill.

st

The only waymarked MTB trail on Cannock Chase is Follow the Dog, at least until Phase 2 opens at Easter. The other waymarked trail are the Leisure trails and the DH courses at Stile Cop.

Mammoth Cycles website just links you to our trail map (without acknowledging our existence) rather than giving details of any other trails.

I guess you could get to Sherwood in an hour but really can't comment on the quality of the trails since the money was spent on them last year.

Other than that as Scruff says it's probably Lllllllandingdong.

Chase Trails were the firs to create waymarked trails in Staffordshire (and still are) with no other site following suit. I guess Sherwood is the only other 'nearby' site that has the kind of set up that can accommodate this kind of project?

Stu
    http://www.chasetrails.co.uk

jimmy

Used to ride Hanchurch when I was at Keele Uni and loved it. Mostly went night riding but hooning about the place with my old mate Brinders, we used to have a right good time, we did. Then, piss wet through, dripping mud and freezing cold we went and sat next to the fire in the pub eating crisps and drinking beer. Happy happy days.

If you can find someone to chase round there who knows it really well, its worth doing (having said that, last time I rode there 10 years ago the forestry work had destroyed all our know trails).

tazzymtb

If you want to come and play on the non FTD parts of the chase or at hanny I'm more than happy to give you a guided tour (I also unfortunately live near choke-on-stench). The stoke mtb chappies are linked in the goldtec lads and they have club rides tuesday and thursday night from trentham into hanchurch woods.

yatesy

stoke mtb club is still very active tuesday/thursday nite rides and sunday mournings check there web forum updated weekly or pop in to the goldtec shop who ride with stoke mtb.where you based in stoke? plus at the mo theres new trail digging started in hanchurch if you want to help

nageeknitram
    Free Member

yatesy – is it proper trail building with the intention of creating a decent way marked trail ?

thanks for all your suggestions, after looking on the web, I'm now going for Llandegllar thanks for that scruff !

yatesy

the building is focusing on a midlands series race in april so making it different to last years track.we have permission to build but its not going to be a trail center.all so there been recent logging so some trails need slight re routing.if you are intrested in a club ride pop in to the goldtec shop and get a bit of info on a tuesday nite ride witch is the best ride to go on if you havint been out with the club before.its worth it its good fun numbers are around 20+ at the mo

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Staffordshire Trail Suggstions’ is closed to new replies.