Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • St Albans
  • Pauly

What’s it like to live in St Albans?

Any good riding? I know it’s a bit flat, but are there any decent places to ride?

Where’s nice to live nearby?

Thanks in advance.

JulianA
    Free Member

Never lived there, but I’ve been there a few times: traffic’s dreadful!

Really dreadful: sorry – why? do you have to?

Pauly

Possibly. I lived there for a summer almost 20 years ago, but have forgotten what it was like apart from being a nice part of the world.
    Don’t need a car so the traffic doesn’t bother me.

Quite like the idea of being half an hour from London, and 20 mins from Luton airport.

ratcatcher

What’s it like to live in St Albans? Well I like it, lots of bars and restruants no cinema

Any good riding? I know it’s a bit flat, but are there any decent places to ride? Riding is mainly muddy but wendover, swinley, woburn,chicksands are not to far a drive

Where’s nice to live nearby? erm Harpenden depends what your looking for and how deep your pockets are!

Pauly

Thanks for that ratcatcher. Would be looking to maybe share a house at first, till I find my feet. Do you know of any good local websites that might be worth checking out?

TooTall
    Free Member

St Albans is ‘king expensive. My mate was asked to relocate there by his company – they would have had to give him 5x his salary to have the same size house and disposable income. Depends where you are moving from I guess.

loris
    Free Member

Plenty of local riding out and about, nothing too technical and no real hills, but good fun all the same, in fact ideal for singlespeed if that floats your boat.
    A few of us ride with ott, we’re usually out at least one evening a week and most weekends.
    As far as the place is concerned, all the above is true. I’ve lived here for just over 10 years, and it’s okay.

Pauly

Thanks Loris; I’ve already checked out your website! If it all comes together I’ll be in touch.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I lived nearby a few years ago. Always thought it’d be a nice place to live when I got older rather than <30yrs old – and what they said, it’s ‘kin expensive buying round there.
    The road toward London gets more expensive but back to Hatfield & Welwyn, etc, and you get some cheaper areas…
    I used to head over to Knebworth (I think it was) on the odd lazy afternoon – there were a few bits in the woods round there of interest. 🙂

Pauly

Cheers for that dave.

jedi

i love riding in hertfordshire 🙂

Pauly

Must post you some pics of Norn Irish northshore Jedi!

jedi

🙂

superlurch
    Free Member

Lots of gorgeous women as I remember…

Pauly

Sounds good. Might make up for the lack of mountains…

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

It is a genteel place to live, nice town centre. Apparently has the highest amount of pubs per capita in the UK (or did have a couple of years ago).

Riding, you’d have to drive south to the Chilterns for some decent riding.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘St Albans’ is closed to new replies.