Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SSUK – so is it a race ?
  • rigid_carbon
    Free Member

First time at a SS event, so can anyone tell me if it is a race or ride ?
    Will there be anyone actually taking it seriously ?

Also, where would the best place for spectators be in the forest, with children?

BTW, I am looking forward to the ride, not racing.

Thanks.

singlespeedstu

Quick stone him.

trail_rat
    Free Member

first rule for SSUK is dont talk about SSUK ….

rigid_carbon
    Free Member

O.K, I get it……….

samuri
    Free Member

Some people will take it seriously, most won’t. Don’t worry about it, just go and enjoy it. Take beer with you for the ride. I remember at the 2000/2001? SSUk champs in Afan, some people were hiding in the woods at the end of their first lap and then jumping out as the quick guys were finishing their second and pretending they’d ridden two laps too. That’s how serious some people take it.

jonathan
    Free Member

Some people tend to “race” (ie ride hard and chase and pass and ‘beat’ people), and then stop for a chat/beer/look at the view/watch the people you’ve been “racing” come past, and then race for a bit more. That’s what I always seem to do anyway 🙂

There’ll good family spectating spots right near the campsite/event site/start-finish area, including spots to catch people on different bits of their laps, if you see what I mean. Certainly no need to go off into the wild woods if you don’t want to.

postierich
    Free Member

I,m racy!

Smee
    Free Member

Is there going to be a beer shortcut this year?

allankelly

I’d recommend watching the start, then wandering along the course and watch at a slightly scary obstacle. The start’s good because people’s bikes get ‘repositioned’. The slightly scary obstacle’s good becasue loads of ‘competitors’ are in fact rubbish at riding bikes and so hilarity ensues.

I’m deciding whether to take my comedy shit SS or my really rather good SS. Or both, probably. We have a great big van, I could put the SS CX bike in too…..

Cheers, al.

clubber
    Free Member

For some, it’s definitely a race but I’m pleased to say that it’s a very good natured one (except for the inevitable grumpy numpty who probably hasn’t quite grasped the concept of the whole weekend) with some very quick guys racing hard but without acting like tryhard wannabe.

singlespeedstu

loads of ‘competitors’ are in fact rubbish at riding bikes and so hilarity ensues.

But I thought we were all athletes 😉

miketually
    Free Member

Even with people really going for it, you can just saunter along at the start to let them get ahead, then enjoy the ride with whoever you end up next to.

funkynick

Must remember the isotonic beer for the camelback this year though..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SSUK – so is it a race ?’ is closed to new replies.