Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • SSD wiped itself
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

What the actual ****. Couldn’t boot up my laptop, booted from a different drive, used a recovery tool….no data on the disk at all and its in good health….

Is it possible that an SSD can bug out and run a hardware wipe/doomsday routine? Virus?

Stoner
    Free Member

Im sorry Tom.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It hates you, they have feelings. Be nice and keep the smut off the next one 😉 everything can fail in various ways.
    What does the magic recovery tool recover or is it just the os?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m mostly just bemused…..

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Tried testdisk mike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

OK. No idea what it’s meant to do, there could be a few reasons the data isn’t being seen. Assuming just a restoration of the os and carry on?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Maybe thats how they fail ? Virus ? Quite a worry.

finishthat
    Free Member

Yes – a typical failure mode for an SSD is – you got nothing.
    Unless you can detect a filesystem or partition to repair its gone.
    Some SSD manufacturers provide diagnostic tools which could help but its manufacturer specific.
    You should retire/replace/warranty the SSD – I would not trust it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks, interesting

How old is it Tom ?

disco_stu
    Free Member

I’ve had an SSD fail, it just stopped working and wouldn’t boot.
    It sounds unusual that it seems to be working just with no data on there. Have you tried looking at the SMART status of the drive?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I think the bios has corrupted. It’s only booting from win 7 defaults now…and when I boot from the hardrive I can’t recognize the ssd in windows. Yet I boot from the SSD and all appears normal.

jambalaya
    Free Member

So now you can boot from “the” SSD – or you have mkre than one, a good one and a dodgy one ?

I wonder SSDs aren’t the new CDs – ie better than records as they couldn’t scratch. SSD better than Hardrives as they wouldn’t breakdown (as often) as no moving parts ?

richmars

I had a SSD a few years ago that didn’t like it when the PC was turned off suddenly, like a power cut. I had to go into the BIOS and change something in the hard drive settings (can’t remember what), then the PC would see it, and I could change it to what it should be. Until I did this the PC wouldn’t boot, Once done, it was fine, until the next power cut.

molgrips
    Free Member

SSD better than Hardrives as they wouldn’t breakdown (as often) as no moving parts ?

No, that’s not the reason they are better; it’s because they are hugely faster in use.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘SSD wiped itself’ is closed to new replies.