Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • SS to 1×9 problem – Experts needed!
  • bullheart
    Free Member

Off to the Lakes for a week, so I thought I’d try some gears out. Took the bike to my LBS and the lads have sorted it for me. Just got it home and…

There appears to be an issue with a slight grinding as the cranks spin. I’m wondering whether the original 32T XT chain-ring (9spd) that I’ve ridden SS (with a SS chain) for the last two years might be the issue. The chain feels like it’s ‘sticking’ at the bottom, as it moves off. I can’t post pics, but the teeth aren’t at their best. As its so last minute, I’m thinking of popping to Evans early doors and picking up a 32T e.13 chain ring tomorrow, as I’ve heard they’re fairly good for SS or 1×9. Might this work? By the way, the chain and cassette are both brand new.

I was also expecting a Superstar chain guide to be delivered by now, but it hasn’t shown up yet….

I hate gears.

rOcKeTdOg

New chain old ring sounds like the problem, it will however happen if the ring is on the wrong way round, wirth checking before buying new, ive made the reassembly mistake myself

gee
    Free Member

Yes – as above. Old rings do that. Buy a new one. The E13 ones are apparently good – I know a few guys using them. I have Salsa rings on my bikes running 1×9/10 a they are thinner so chainsuck less.

GB

bullheart
    Free Member

Rocketdog – You’d recommend the Renthal ring?

rOcKeTdOg

Yep, faultless over 12 months so far

mboy
    Free Member

Renthal, E13, Blackspire, Gusset, MRP, and many others… All make perfectly good singlespeed/DH chainrings and I’d definitely advise one for use in a 1x geared setup. Makes a big difference.

bullheart
    Free Member

And it’ll stay on without a chain-guide?

rOcKeTdOg

I’d put one on to be on the safe side in the Lakes

bullheart
    Free Member

…except the pissing thing hasn’t turned up and I’m leaving at half eight tomorrow morning 👿

mboy
    Free Member

More chance of it staying on with a decent unramped ring than without. Though a chain device helps again…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘SS to 1×9 problem – Experts needed!’ is closed to new replies.