Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • SS to 1×10 help?
  • mrkstvnz
    Free Member

Kona unit 2013. Lbs want 370 English pounds. And a little more for a narrow wide chainring or a chain device thingy . Iscg one. Now I’m a numpty when it comes to mechanics . Can I do it cheaper. I think they quoted using slx and zee. Could I do it myself with online tuition vids? Would I save money’s . They are including rear wheel build but I can buy a 29er wheel for bout 40 notes on here. Advice needed. Oh and if anyone knows the size of all components I need can you list them for me. That’s where I struggle with parts. Size needed. Ta peeps .

mrkstvnz
    Free Member

Someone please ? List everything I need and sizes and I can bang a post on the classifieds. Cheers.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Probably one of the reasons they are quoting £370 is because they know exactly what to do and what to buy.

It depends entirely on the level you want, you will need a shifter, a rear mech, chainring, chain, cassette, inner, outter and maybe a wheel (maybe not depending on what you have already). Prices would vary from I think ~100 to up to what you have mentioned depending on group set level.

No one can give you a definitive list because it all depends on your preference and your current components. None of which anyone knows about.

TL;DR yes you can do it cheaper than that, but you need to know what you are doing and reading up on 1x set ups etc. will help you find out what you are doing.

z1ppy

You’ll also need to add a geared drop outs for the Unit frame to MM’s list – I can’t point you toward the correct one, as my brain melt every time I search through Kona drop-out listings but they are available.
    Size wise, I can’t think of anything you need a specific size for, except maybe choosing a short cage rear mech (long cage needed for 2 or 3 rings cranksets). Ok you need to choose what size front chainrings & cassette teeth you want but a 32 up front and 11-36 at the rear is probably a good starting point.
    Take MM’s list and go and search for the parts on CRC (or other mail order sites), I’d disagree with him, in that putting a 1×10 setup is hardly difficult, the hardest part being setting up the rear mech (see the “park tools” guides), but even that not rocket science.
    It’ll be a great experience in learning how stuff works IMO

Ps: the “inner, outter” mentioned is cables, as in a inner cable and the outer sheathing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘SS to 1×10 help?’ is closed to new replies.