Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • SS tensioner tension…
  • dr_adams
    Free Member

I have got my hands on some bits and cobbled together a SS bike, but the initial chain length “seemed” a bit too long and so i took some links out, my aim was to make the tensioner not be able to go to its fully back position… which i managed by removing some links, however the tensioner now decides that instead of moving forward along its path to deal with an increase in tension, that it will instead bend slightly at the bottom support, thus it isn’t straight for when the chain goes through and so it isn’t feeding the cog properly, if you move it forward by hand, it all looks to line up pretty well, and if you loosen the tensioner’s securing bolt off it looks to move happily… am i missing something? HELP

zaskar
    Free Member

Which tensioner are you using?

dr_adams
    Free Member

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3145538/
    that one…
    seems to just bend the bottom bar that has the cog on it and not just pull it forward:(

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m totally confused – how can it work under tension from your hand but not the chain?

dr_adams
    Free Member

huh?
    I dunno either… when you lift the rear and pedal it seems happy just skipping every so often… but when you pedal under load it goes a bit nuts… going to try re-alligning it.. obviously not a common problem like i thought originally..

giantjason
    Free Member

i am having the same problem with setting up a single speed. i have got the chain line setup perfectly going from front to back, but when i put on the chain tensioner it throws the chain at an angle. This is due to how the chain tensioner sits on the rear mech.

i have tried re-aligning the rear cog, spacing out the tensioner on washer, none of which works.

Stoner
    Free Member

have you installed the tensioner correctly. There is a pin that should sit against the hanger b-tension screw stop. This then allows the tensioner to get some spring tension into it’s down action. Have you a photograph of your set up?

dr_adams
    Free Member

Sorry have been home, will get one up tomorrow when i have a fresh look at this!

aw
    Free Member

tensioners are a nightmare…puts me off a SS without horizontal drop outs or EBB

dr_adams
    Free Member

Yay… makes me feel confident..!

dr_adams
    Free Member

LOL, just sorted my problem, went through loads of stuff tried moving the tensioner, then i thought it ws bent so tried straightening it and all sorts of stuff ready to throw out the window… and the i thought the chain wasn’t the right chain… i had brought a single speed chain for my single speed biek… and i shouldn’t have, put a normal chain on and it works perfect, turns out the “on one” tensioner doesn’t like single speed chains…. who would have thought!

zaskar
    Free Member

In the instructions of the tensioner and even the DMR tensioner:

Do not use BMX or single speed chains…only 8/9speed!

Glad you sorted it!

WackoAK
    Free Member

I have the exact same tensioner and I’m running a singlespeed chain with no issues??

dr_adams
    Free Member

i didn’t get it new, so assumed it would want a single speed… yeah i know never assume!
    Wacko.. does yours seem to bend? think my brushing is worn? but single speed chain didn’t sit on the jockey wheel properly, when ever i put pressure on the pedals, it slipped on the jockey wheel. Instantly works now even with a slightly knackered chain

halfwit
    Free Member

Throw it away and get a Surly Singleater. Much nicer tensioner…

halfwit
    Free Member

And they work both ways, up and down.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘SS tensioner tension…’ is closed to new replies.