Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • SS Superleggera hub axle/bearing removal
  • bmike
    Free Member

Trying to service one of these hubs, got the freehub off no problem. Got the lock ring off the non drive side, but I can’t shift the axle. I can see the hub bearings both sides, with no circlips or anything left outside them.

I’ve tried tapping the axle out both ways, but it’s not moving at all, and I don’t want to hit it any harder. Does anyone know if there is some magic way to get it out? Or is it just the press fit of the bearings holding it all tight? I didn’t have any trouble drifting out the freehub bearings, thought the main hub would be more of the same.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I used a bit of hard wood over the none drive side to hammer the axle out, It diddent require a hefty blow though, make sure you support the wheel on something hard that won’t damage the spoke flange hth

swampi
    Free Member

I just started to strip mine,and it appears to be stuck in pretty well too, only prob i found as mine is the original version it has a stupid washer behind the ring drive so needs to be send back to ss for them to remove the ring drive,remove the washer so in future it will be possible do it at home,dilemma I have is that do i spend 20 on the mod and new bearing with at least 15-20 quid in postage costs or for that price just buy a new switch rear hub….hmmmmm

ssboggy

Had a similar problem with a Hope xc hub yesterday and I used the method above but I poured hot water onto the hub shell first and it came much easier

bmike
    Free Member

Guess I’m just not hitting it hard enough then! I have got a bit of wood over the end of the axle, bit it still feels like I’m almost hitting it hard enough to damage the threads. Might try heating it next.

Also having similar issues with a Hope XC rear hub, so it’s not just the superleggera being difficult.

Swampi – SS have the updated Superleggera on special offer at present – £60 for the Trizoid version. Hardly worth sending yours off at that price. You could buy the tool (i’ve seen it online for £30), and then try and sell it on again afterwards, might be cheaper than posting yours off?

swampi
    Free Member

Ah cheers,will have a look and see what’s in stock

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘SS Superleggera hub axle/bearing removal’ is closed to new replies.