Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • ss ratios and chain tensioner
  • timthetinyhorse

wanting to run my genesis alpitude frame ss for my comutte (around 8 mile and pretty flat)

what sort of ratios are people running on 26″ wheels, i would say my fitness was more or less average and also what sort of tensioner would people reccomed as the frame does not have a sliding dropout so going to have to find dome form of tensioner.

Do people have a preference as far as ss convertors go for the rear too as my wheels are standard mtb wheels so currently have a 10spd cassette on there, i assume all of the kits are as good as each other.

Cheers for any help.

theotherjonv

Is the commute on or off road? 32:16 on a 26er is the normal starting point (or some other 2:1 ratio) but if it is properly flat and / or there’s a lot of road, then you’ll be spinning out far too easily. I commute on road on a 29er / 700c, admittedly with thin wheels and tyres, on 42:16, but you do have to grunt a bit on hills.

For everything you need to tension, space cogs, etc., http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/

RobHilton
    Free Member

Whatever cpnversion kit will do for the hub as long as its got a decent amount of thin spacers so you can fine-tune the chainline.

I use a pretty unusal 34:13 at the mo for a similar commute and while I do use it at Swinley I’d defnly change the rear for mountains. Larger chainrings are advisable – I’ve got a tiny rear cog for financial reasons of the front chainrings I use being stupidly expensive :mrgreen:

Many start with 32:16, but you’ll spin-out on the flat way too easy.

timthetinyhorse

iys a mix of on and off road, the off road being hard back bridal way, there is a couple of short steep climbs and one long drag

will try doing a 32-16 setup and give it a go.

cp

I’d go for a spacer kit with multiple thinner spaces rather than a kit with only 2 spacers as you’ll be able to tune chainline far more easily.

For your sprocket, I’d look at ones with a wide base. Only use a wide base one with alu. freehub bodies, a thin one will dig into alu a country mile in no time.

cp

If you still have gears on your bike, just ride in on 32:16 or as near as and see what it’s like before buying specific kit.

Colin-T

I used to run a tensioner kit bought from Charlie the Bikemonger before finally investing in a SS frame.

On 26″ I have run 34:16 in the past as its not especially hilly where I am but I bought a lovely set of White ENO cranks with a 32 on so I’m running 32:16 at the moment. If I could be bothered I’d get a 15 rear as it is a bit too spinny for me.

On my SSCX commuter I run 42:16 but its much harder on the hills.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ss ratios and chain tensioner’ is closed to new replies.