Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • SS Cog – is this OK to use?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

I’m thinking of using it on a new chain – the teeth have shark toothed a bit though??

wwaswas

run it ‘the other way’ round and see how you get on. I’d use it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

looks ok. but as above flip it round.

Yak

That looks barely used. I would run it the regular way round for this chain. Maybe reverse for the next chain if the wear is more noticeable.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Here’s another shot

warpcow
    Free Member

Alternatively, try it with a new chain. If it skips, which you’ll find out in the first 10secs, flip it. Just a thought, and, tbh, I’ve never been able to properly judge whether things will mesh or not unless it’s properly on it’s way to being dead.

Yak

Oh, ok – looks a little worse. Flip it.

bonesetter
    Free Member

So as long as it rides OK and doesn’t slip, it’s OK?

warpcow
    Free Member

Yes.

cp

Looks mint compared to a lot I run on mine!!

Are you running a tensioner or horizontal dropouts/ebb? If either of the latter you can get away with almost no teeth…..

bonesetter
    Free Member

Oooh, EBB 🙂

D0NK

That’s not even bedded in, I’d consider this to be well worn[url=https://flic.kr/p/qAagnM]worn freewheel[/url] by D0NK, on Flickr
    (not a great pic of the teeth I know)

D0NK

depends how shonky you are happy to live with, the above still worked-ish steep climbs could be a rather skippy tho. Even so looks loads of life left on yours before it starts to jump at all, may be a bit of noise from the burrs on the teeth which I guess you could file down. If you’re a perfectionist flip it and fit a new chain.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Good God. That puts things into perspective

🙂

jonathan
    Free Member

I’ve only had a cog slip when it’s properly reached “end of life”. I remember picking a non-hilly route home was tricky 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/8dHQjL]King Kog end of (short) life[/url] by Jonathan Bateman, on Flickr

That Niner cog is barely run in 🙂

jonathan
    Free Member

D0NK’s and my photos illustrate well that an alu cog will fail, whilst a steel cog (particularly a freewheel) will often just keep on wearing until time has eroded it away 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

Jon – that’s interesting – (alu cogs failing etc)

So Donk’s is a steel one?

Your cog’s teeth look similar to mine (the ones still left)

verses

It was a sad day when this Steel Surly finally passed away…

D0NK

So Donk’s is a steel one?

yep, oh is your’s Ali? In that case it looks dangerously worn, bin it and fit a steel one 😉

in all honesty I have no idea how well ali ones wear but presumably they need a slightly better maintenance/replacement regime than mine.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Bloodie eck donk – slightly 😆

D0NK

SS and especially SS commuters (as that one ^ was) don’t get much TLC in my house.

jonathan
    Free Member

Your cog’s teeth look similar to mine (the ones still left)

That’s a Chris King one – very light and not very thick. Interestingly it doesn’t look like they do them in alu any more. That one had been worn a lot more than yours, then flipped and worn quite a bit the other way before it gave up. Most of my other singlespeed bits are steel and thick – which last for ages (relatively).

And I like verses proof that I’m wrong about steel cogs not failing 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘SS Cog – is this OK to use?’ is closed to new replies.