Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SS Chainset
  • Merak

Can anyone recommend a ss chainset, I saw this one but not sure. Any other likely candidates under £100?

Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any chainset with shorter bolts?

Merak

Yeah for sure that’ll work but Im after a single speed specific item. They dont come up 2nd hand that often though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tip…they are one and the same!

Just put a ss sticker on it?

campfreddie
    Free Member

2nd hand middlburn crank set with a nice shiny non-ramped chainring.. sub £100 should be achievable

IanW
    Free Member

I asked exactly the same question a couple of months ago and got pretty much the same responses.

Ended up buying an fsa v drive triple, removing the big and little ring. Fit a 5mm bash ring (on one sometimes has them on offer). Looks better and also means you dont need shorter bolts.

The triple could have been a slx or deore or anything really.

I get the impression single speed doesn’t fit the bike industry business model.

mk1fan
    Free Member

I bought a Race Face ‘Singlespeed’ chainset and it was just a normal chainset without an inner ring.

Middleburn items can have the spider changed to a s/s specific item.

That is all I have to contribute.

brakes
    Free Member

Shimano Alfine?

Bez

I get the impression single speed doesn’t fit the bike industry business model.

Given that the MTB industry’s tooled up for triples, which work perfectly as SS rings and are only ‘flawed’ by having some extra holes which are barely noticeable once fitted to a bike, I’d say it’s a wonder they make any SS-specific chainsets at all.

Merak

Cheers, I appreciate the feedback. I have cobbled together a non ramped 32 t ring onto a chainset albeit I had to ‘modify’ the interface.

The Alfine has too many teeth for hilly Scotchland. 32 max until I get into the swing of things. Im not to enamoured by the Truvativ set up either, as I have had some bother with the GXP set up on another of my bikes. The hunt for a nice S/S chainset continues.

I may still plump for the Raceface, ta much though.

flashes
    Free Member

I run second hand Middleburn Uno’s, really good and nice to look at, don’t ever loose their value. Sorted………..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SS Chainset’ is closed to new replies.