Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • SS Cassette hub options
  • mtbmatt
    Free Member

I’m going through bearings very quickly on a standard (not SS) Hope Pro 2 hub.
    Looking to change it to something as light but more suitable for SS use. Quicker engagement and ability to withstand the higher loads.

Is the Hope trails/SS hub any better, or are the bearings the same?
    What other options are there? I know of DT and CK.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

The bearings are the same. They might be spaced differently though as the cassette body is shorter. I would imagine this would put the drive side hub shell bearing closer to the chain line.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Been using a pro11 singlespeed hub for courier work over a year and the bearings are fine.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Chain isn’t a touch too tight is it Matt?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

No, the chain is fine. Using INA bearings as well, so not skimping.

Mudmonster, how many miles has the hub done?
    Found that No Tubes make a SS rear hub as well, could be the best value option.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

We’ve had bad experiences of Hope SS hubs down here. Sandy soil and water gets into the pawls VERY quickly.
    Chris King SS hubs work and last well but are obviously costly.
    For a cheap option try a DMR SS hub with a screw on freewheel, not necessarily any longer lasting than your existing set up but very cheap and easy to service. White Industries freewheels are well recommended but a bit pricier.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Needs to be a cassette hub so I can alter the chainline to suit and also for lower weight.

Hope Pro2 SS hub seems MUCH heavier than the standard version. I know it uses a steel freehub body, but does it really weigh than much more?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Chris King it is then. I bought mine because I’m worth it.

cookeaa

DMR Cassette SS HUB? 6 pawls I think so should have good pickup

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Ok, I’ll do it … how about a Superstar one?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

DMR Cassette SS HUB? 6 pawls I think so should have good pickup

Didn’t realise they made one, but just checked it out. 540g. Too heavy.

CK too expensive.

doof_doof
    Free Member

The hope SS hub now has a needle bearing.

– Upgrade kit for your Hope Pro 2 Trials hub, exclusive to TartyBikes (as of March 2010!).
    – Converts your older Pro 2 Trials hub to the newer needle-bearing and single cartridge bearing design freehub body or can be used as a direct replacement for your newer Pro 2 Trials model.
    – Needle bearing design is a massive 7 times stronger compared to the old bearing design!
    – Tough steel construction stops sprockets from digging into the freehub body.
    – Available with or without pawls and springs.
    – Comes complete with new end cap and spacer.
    – Weight: 162g (Including end cap, spacer, pawls and springs)

ssboggy

Been using superstar ss hub for around a year now and its still fine

mudmonster
    Free Member

It’s done lots of miles. No idea how many miles I ride at work but it’s quite a lot. The bearings in my front xc hub are feeling a bit rough and I put new ones in last year.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘SS Cassette hub options’ is closed to new replies.