• This topic has 23 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by lcj.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • SS advice for someone who should know better.
  • donks
    Free Member

The question is do I keep the spare gears I have or do I just sell them. I ride SS and have done for over two years now, but have held on to them just in case!! The theory has been that if I do a trail that requires gears then I could just keep the front chain ring on (32T steel on-one) change the rear sprocket and slap gears on the back.
    Is it as simple as that or will I need all manner of chain devices to keep the chain on the front or even a new chain ring?? if it turns out to be a complete faff then i'll flog the things and resign my self to a life of SS no matter what the trail.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Unlikley to be worth enough to merit selling IMO, I'd keep.

donks
    Free Member

Full XTR hardly used…should be worth a bit, but not worth keeping if i have to change my chainset and add a chain device or something to keep the chain on. If it's a 45min job to run a single chain ring with a 9spd cassette (assuming all gears are cabled and ready to go) then it's no massive problem.

wwaswas

if you haven't needed gears for two years then unless you're planning a radical change of riding location or style then chances are you won't.

donks
    Free Member

I do see the point but it's more the practicallity of running the same front chianset with out the need for a device coupled with a rear mech…. I just dont know if it's feasable?

BigJohn

I ride mostly SS but put the gears back on if I'm going to a place with long draggy ascents, like the lakes or the peak. It takes me about 90 mins to put them back (rear mech never needs re-indexing as the cable just goes through the slots) front mech too, as i have marked the exact position where it goes.

I always put a granny on as well and keep all the bits (2 chainrings & bolts, chain, mechs & cables, cassette, chainstay protector, spare 9-spd powerlinks) in its own bag in the garage.

But recently I've gone dinglespeed for a road gear to get me to the trails. 34 and 36 on the front, 18 and 16 on the back and takes 30 secs to change. Magic ratio on a Soul with vert dropouts.

If it's steep enough to need gears, you'll probably need a chain guide, but there's nothing wrong in using your old front mech as a guide.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I'd keep the cassette and rear mech, and sell the front mech, granny and big rings, and front shifter – that way you keep the option of putting a few gears back on if you need to, but you're also making some money out of kit that you haven't used for two years.

If you're already using a front ring with bashguard, then an N-stop chain guide (£10 or thereabouts) would be all you need for a 1×9 setup – works for me anyway. Existing chainring should work fine

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

Why not try it for a couple of weeks. See how long it takes to change and decide for yourself. Thats what I'd do.

In this or any sport its not really worth selling anything you're likely to want to buy again……… unless you're in the 'must have everything latest and new' school of wastefulness. But since you're a singlespeeder I suspect you're not.

donks
    Free Member

The N-stop device looks really good…cheers thats the kind of thing i was looking for not the full down hill type devices you see. What about using a SS chainring (on-one steel) with a 9spd chain any issues??

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Should be fine i think, although I've got no direct experience of the on one chainring.

BigJohn

8spd & 9spd chainrings same thickness. But you may get chainsuck or skipping as your teeth will be hooked and not get on with a new chain.

donks
    Free Member

I reckon based on the info above i'll keep the gears and get an N-stop thingy. Chances are that i'll carry on SS regardless. just out of iterest, anyone ride SS at the major trail centres (wales and 7staines) cos thats all I'm really concerned about…. i dont mind pushing for a few hundred mtrs on the most brutish climbs.

BigJohn

Yes, Welsh centres are fine with SS. I've done CyB (the beast) LLlllandeglllla, Marin and Penmachno on SS. The hills tend to be short & sharp not long & draggy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

SS fine for me when fit – can clear GT and IL OK.

tomlevell

Scottish trail centres are fine on a SS. Big climbs (glentress/inners) but mostly just right gradient wise. At Glentress you can pretty much keep up on the downhills.

I'd get rid of your XTR and if you fancy some in the future briefly just buy some Deore.

You'd be better served by a second bike if you can afford/have space for one. Then when one breaks you can switch until it's fixed.

donks
    Free Member

By GT assume you mean Gletress which is good as I hope to be in the area (visiting the old man with the kids) over the school hols and fancy a cheeky blast round there.

Cheers for the info.

Candodavid
    Free Member

SS/Rigid only for me, riding it for 18 months now, doing Gap ride in August to see how fir I really am

donks
    Free Member

I was looking forward to the OneFgear ride, but thats been kind of shelved i see…

I met a fellow SS'er at cannock a couple of months back and we thrashed round both the trails in a cracking time without stopping once so perhaps i'm just being a bit over cautious about selling off all remenants of gearing.

c9tln
    Free Member

donks-sorry to hijack,but are the xt brakes up for grabs? cheers.

donks
    Free Member

Oh christ yes mate….can you email the following address:

n.charlwood@terrapin-ltd.co.uk

c9tln
    Free Member

ygm.

s1m0n
    Free Member

What SS ratios are people using for Wales trail centres?

donks
    Free Member

32/16 works a treat for Cannock and i've done swinley on this too with no problems.

lcj

The cost of buying replacement gears should you have a change of heart/riding style/riding location will outstrip the money you'll get for them secondhand. I've learned this the hard way!

I would keep them. 32t ring will do you pretty well (it might be tad small, I like a 36 for all round duties). You could think about a N-gear as mentioned above, an MRP 1.X or the new Superstar guide when it comes out: http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=362 as you will want something to hold the chain on the front, although your front mech might suffice.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘SS advice for someone who should know better.’ is closed to new replies.