Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • SS 32:16 What speed do you spin out at?
  • RC
    Free Member

What speed do you spin out at on the flat using 32:16?

RC

Sam

About 30mph, that's in a very short burst though.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

About 15-16mph before it just gets silly. 13mph ish is ok at a reasonable cadence,

phil.w
    Free Member

About 30mph

thats a cadence of 194 😯

ahwiles
    Free Member

32:16 = 2:1

wheel diameter = 680mm

1 pedal rev = 2 wheel revs = 2 x pi x 0.68m = 4.27m travelled.

120rpm* = 120 x 4.27 = 513metres/min

0.513km x 60 = 31kph.

(*assumed max cadence…)

sofaking
    Free Member

depends how big your wheels are 8)

(written before the post above)

MrSparkle

72mph.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Good one ahwhiles: but wheel diameter 0.68m? I make it ~30" (0.76) from 26"+2"+2", assuming 2 inch tyres.

I have 32:18 ratio = 0.78

0.78 (ratio) * 2 (revs) * 3.14 {pi) * 0.76 (diameter) * 120 (cadence) * 60 (to hours) * 0.001 (to km) * 0.625 (to miles) = ~16.75mph

Faster than I expected.

cynic-al
    Free Member

BL the 26" is the nominal OD, the bead diameter is 559mm.

barrykellett
    Free Member

30mph would be some going!

On my 48×17 set up on the road bike i cant get it over 36mph spinning like an idiot on the downhills on my commute.

I have achieved 39 on a mountain descent tucked down as much as i could… but I certainly wasn't doing any pedalling on that descent.

Sam

phil.w – Member
    About 30mph
    thats a cadence of 194

29" wheels help a bit, absolute max is about 180rpm, years of riding fixed and ss plus naturally having a high proportion of fast twitch muscles helps a lot.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shirley most could manage 150rpm? = 23mph?

ahwiles
    Free Member

then do your own sodding maths.

X

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Shirley most could manage 150rpm

Probably, but that kind of max that isn't very sustainable past what? a couple of minutes at best?

At 2:1, on 'flat' off-road, I can sustain about 14/15mph

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Ahah! this would explain the mtber I saw on my commute today pedalling like an idiot and going very slowly!
    Thought it was a BMX from a distance

Sam

Scienceofficer – Member
    Shirley most could manage 150rpm
    Probably, but that kind of max that isn't very sustainable past what? a couple of minutes at best?

At 2:1, on 'flat' off-road, I can sustain about 14/15mph

Few seconds in my case, but as the question asked 'spin out at' I assumed he meant 'what speed are you going when you can't possibly spin any faster'?

Splash-man
    Free Member

My experience is pretty similar as above. I would 14mph is fine to maintain on the flat along with some freewheeling then egg whisks lol !

nickc

slightly misses the point.

Splash-man
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    slightly misses the point.

Which point ?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

*willy waving* I can spin at over 200rpm for 22sec at rollapaluza and there are plenty quicker than me.

30mph is definitely possible in a sprint with 26" wheels. Again, just over 15 is a comfy long term max

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Nice. After willy waving and all that spinning, I imagine you apply a lot of this

dmjb4
    Free Member

I reckon my sustainable average on 32:16 is 15/16mph. Don't have a speedo on the ss, but the other week I bumped into a roadie I know on sandbanks ferry and we had a similar conversation to this thread. Rode from the ferry to the turn before the big hill up to bournemouth, so 5 mins or so, whilst I was out of breath but talking. roadie reckons his speedo was 16 all the way.

_tom_
    Free Member

Anything faster than 12mph feels too spinny to me.

locomotive

Im glad you lot have only got a single gear ratio to talk about, or things could get really dull

🙂

bigbob38
    Free Member

16mph on the flat…30 downhill…. but i am a bit 'bigger' now… :D.Junior road-racing in the good old old days was helpful as they restricted you to 52-15 (93")- helped me then as the fastest peddler won!!

ononeorange

At a cadence that feels insane on our night run along the disused railway for a couple of miles, as all my (geared) mates go hell for leather just to see if they can kill me!

miketually
    Free Member

I can ride forever* at about 20kmph on my 32:17.

*Well, ages anyway.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘SS 32:16 What speed do you spin out at?’ is closed to new replies.