Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sri Lanka – travelling – not beaches
  • MadBillMcMad

It is my wifes & my 50th this year & we thought we would take the kids (12 & 15) on an adventure.

We last went to Sri Lanka about 18 years ago & we would probably do it in the same style – totally independent, cheap accommodation & buses/trains.

When I last went we would only book stuff up a day or so in advance.
    Do you reckon we can just do the same again or should we be more organised ?

The plan would be to do all the main tourist sites with only using beach as a bit of R&R for a couple of days.

cheers_drive

Went there for our honeymoon in September – fantastic place. My wife had been 8 years before and had said that is has developed lots and the roads are way better (but not the drivers). I think the develoment has happened because of international (manly Chinese) funding that has flooded in after the civil war ended. All the locals we spoke were really optimistic about the future now the war is over.
    We didn’t do the apart from the last day. The hill country is much better than the beach.
    Can’t help you on the accommodation stuff as the honeymoon was definitely not on the cheap and we had our own driver (I would have died in a RTA after the first hour if I had driven).

ericemel
    Free Member

Not trying to poo poo your great idea, but Sri Lanka was really the only place I have been that I haven’t thoroughly enjoyed. My wife and I have done lots of independent travelling very much like you have described (Asia, India, S.America) and we really didn’t enjoy Sri Lanka – while it has a lot it offer it is really quite difficult to go independent, very hard not to get swept into semi organised deals, really hard to describe why we didn’t like it….I will have a think! And I think a 12 & 15 year old would struggle for activities/stimulation.

But I would HIGHLY recommend Vietnam and Cambodia. A few days cycling around Ankor was a lifetime high. P

(Edit – we did Sri Lanka in mid 2011)

MadBillMcMad

Odd that ericemel. I have not been to Vietnam & Cambodia but would love to.

We were thinking Sri Lanka precisely for the reason that it was easy to do independently. As I remember we just went to the bus station, got on a bus to say Polonnaruwa, got somewhere to stay, hired a bike etc etc.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I’m here now. Currently in Ella. It’s raining. HARD. So far we’ve travelled around in the last week (with two remaining) on trains and buses and stayed in cheap accomm. As we always do when visiting countries. Sri Lanka has been good so far and the only place we struggled to find a room was Sigiriya. We turned up at 2000 and most of the hotels and guesthouses were full. Booked in advance. Everyone is helpful and we got a room, basic and clean, 500m from the village for 2500 rupees. Approx 12.50. That included me and the missus getting driven to the Sigiriya/Great Rock ticket office on the owners motorbike 3s up.

Yes, you can achieve what you want still in Sri Lanka. Although the worlds a big place and if you’ve been before then maybe try somewhere else. Over the last 3 years the missus and I have done Vietnam (1 month) Cambodia & Laos (1 month), Mexico, Belize and Guatemala (1 month). All of which were excellent and have what you’re looking for. Cheap, exciting, independent travel.

Drop me an email if you want any specifics.

MadBillMcMad

Cheers KingofBiscuits might well drop you a line.
    We will not be off to August so lots of planning time.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sri Lanka – travelling – not beaches’ is closed to new replies.