Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sram XX / X10 10 speed cranksets – Compatible with 9 speed rings ?
  • simonm
    Free Member

I’m thinking of changing crankset on my bike and moving current to another. I don’t wont to go to 10 speed at moments as I’d have to change shifters, rear mech etc etc. So, question is, could I buy a 10 speed, XX,X0,X9 Sram crankset now, and put 9 speed rings on it until a later date ? O, and stay with external CK BB ?
    There appear to be a lot of different version on CRC but non with much description of what each code means. e.g. XX BB30 164 ???
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42789

thanks for help.

njee20
    Free Member

You’d need Hope’s GXP adapters to run a King bottom bracket with SRAM chainset, but the rings will be fine.

tony24
    Free Member

The code refers to the bottom bracket type either bb30 or GXP then the 164 is the Qfactor.

bol

The numbers refer to the q factor I believe – how close the crank arms are to the frame. There isn’t a huge amount of space to play with between the crank arms of my 159 XX chainset and my Soda’s chainstay. Worth checking out before you purchase I’d suggest.

njee20
    Free Member

You’ll almost certainly need the wider one, the narrow is v narrow!

bol

Yeh, actually I had assumed that mine was the narrow one, but actually I think it’s the wider one – and it’s still pretty tight.

simonm
    Free Member

thanks for replies… bit of a minefield then ? will take a look to see if there are any guidelines on santa cruz website, ta.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The std chainrings will be fine for 9 speed also as they are the same width as normal, use a 10 speed chain though however as it has less tendency to chainsuck. I’ve used XX cranks with 9 speed everything else for a year and this is the thing I noticed the most…

You’ll need, in almost all cases need the wider crank though. I think only a few frames ridden by people with very small feet will the narrow one work properly. My made had the narrow ones on his for a start, the fitted fine but his heels hit the chainstays when he tried to ride it!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sram XX / X10 10 speed cranksets – Compatible with 9 speed rings ?’ is closed to new replies.