Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SRAM XX rear derailleur – only compatible with XX cassette?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Thinking about running a 1 x 10 setup on one of my bikes, but the XX cassette is a little ridiculously expensive at £260!

So, could you run an XX derailleur with a roadie 10sp cassette?

LAT

In general, as long at the shifter and mech match and the chain and cassette match, the gears will work.

If you are happy using the ratios on a road cassette, why not use 10 speed shimano road parts? I believe they do a 10 speed flat bar shifter that may fit the bill.

solarider
    Free Member

Try the Fudge Cycles website for a few options. Spacing is just the same on all SRAM cassettes, so in answer to your question, yes you can run the combination you are thinking about. I run XX and the cassette is a work of art, but the price is indeed outrageous.

psychle
    Free Member

just read through your 4 page thread for nuggets of info on XX and Pauls thumbies (in fact, I think that's where I first saw the combination!). Shall give Fudge Cycles a call to discuss options… could be tempted by the XX cassette, but jeez it's expensive… I wonder what sort of life you'll get out of one? would be gutting to have to replace it in a way 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Think LAT's missed the point slightly, you could use the flat bar Shimano shifters, but you'd then have to use a Shimano mech too.

The XX mech pulls a different amount of cable to others, allegedly, so you'd have to use an XX shifter, but could combine with any 10 speed cassette you want.

I wouldn't bother personally, if you use a road cassette you lose the range, and then there's no real point. XX is nice, but I'd be a bit annoyed if I'd 'upgraded' to it, considering the money it's not that revolutionary IMO.

There are other 10 speed MTB cassettes out there that are slightly cheaper. This full ti one is also slightly lighter!

solarider
    Free Member

I agree with njee in some respects. The main benefit from XX is the super slick front shifting. The 10 speeds out back just facilitate 2 up front whilst still having a wide range of gears. The rest of it doesn't really move things on that much. Still, if you are in need of some new transmission parts anyway, why not? It is the best about at the moment, but he is right, probably not worth upgrading from perfectly usable parts for the sake of it.

I heard a rumour that the embargo on publishing 2011 XTR details will be lifted this week, so it might be worth holding on a bit. I have seen a few bits, and it looks very nice.

If you phone Fudges, ask for Andrew Fudge. A true bike geek in all the right ways! Very knowledgeable.

njee20
    Free Member

Actually… having re-read your first post it's even more pointless, as a 1×10 with a road cassette will give you much narrower ratios than a 1×9 with an MTB cassette!

LAT

I'm not that daft! I had assumed that he would run a shimano mech with the shimano shifter.

I was guessing that nothing had yet been bought for the project and if Psycle is happy with a road cassette he could possibly save money with a Shimano set up.

cynic-al
    Free Member

mtb mechs can run badly on road cassettes as they are designed to track the cogs with wider ranges.

njee20
    Free Member

He could definitely save money with a Shimano mech, and actually your suggestion is a far more sensible route to go, particularly if using a road cassette!

I was just observing that the question was 'can I use a road cassette with an XX mech', and you offerered 'yes, you can use Shimano shifters'. 😉

psychle
    Free Member

nothing bought as yet… all just hypotheticals really. May even end up going SS on this bike (for a laugh) 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Well I would definitely say that buying XX mech/shifters, then running a road cassette would be really daft!

Running a road cassette with a 1×10 with cheaper shifters/mech is slightly less daft.

Running a 9 speed MTB cassette on a 1×9 is much more sensible.

Running a 2×9 set up is the most sensible!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SRAM XX rear derailleur – only compatible with XX cassette?’ is closed to new replies.