Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • SRAM XD 11 speed cassette replacement
  • J-R

It’s time to replace the 11 speed cassette on my new(ish) bike, but it uses the SRAM XD system.

My standard Shimano cassette unlocking tool (a splined nut) does not seem to fit very well. Is there a special SRAM XD cassette removal tool I need to get for this, of do I just need to be more assertive with with using the regular tool?

tomhoward

It’s the latter I’m afraid.

Try adding elbow grease 😉

honourablegeorge

Same tool. You did grease the freehub before fitting the cassette, right?

ChrisE
    Free Member

Same tool. Just make sure its a fairly deep one that goes in about 10mm. I did have to get a new one as my original one (I’d had for 15 years) would not go in deep enough.

C

scaled
    Free Member

Hope hub?

If so, take the end cap off first

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Right. For a start I hope it’s not been over tightened or that it’s not seized. If either has happened you’ll get a loud bang and all the splines will shear off. This writes of both the cassette and the free hub body, not even SRAM tech centre could separate them when I did it.
    When fitting the new one, use plenty of anti seize and a TORQUE WRENCH!!!
    Don’t go up to 40 Nm either, 30-35 is ample.
    But other than that it’s a standard Shimano pattern tool, yes.

J-R

It’s a Bontrager Jackalope hub. But the tool only goes in about 1mm so looks like I’ll need a new one.

rhayter

It’s the same pattern of splines, but as ChrisE wrote, you may need a tool that’s deeper/longer than yours to properly engage with the teeth. Trying to remove it without such a tool can be very expensive…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘SRAM XD 11 speed cassette replacement’ is closed to new replies.