Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • sram x9 shifter broken in 2 months, is x0 any better?
  • theendisnigh
    Free Member

Howdy. My x9 shifter has stopped shifting, only had it 2 months, tried stripping and lubing it, but the lever doesn’t spring back now once I shift. You have to pull it forwards and back to get it to work. I’m going to send it back to crc, but not sure what they will do.

Anyway, I’m not impressed, I’ve used shimano before and never had a problem. Maybe I have been unlucky, but i would shift back to Shimano if it didn’t mean also changing sram rear mech. So i’m thinking is the x0 shifter a better design and more durable? Have I just been unlucky? Should I get another X9? Anyone got an opinion on this please?

On a positive note, rode Penmachno today for the first time. Its a gem! Shhhhh! Don’t tell anyone!

jam-bo

Sounds like warranty to me. I’ve got x7 & x9 shifters that have been going for years.

grum
    Free Member

My SRAM stuff did exactly the same – I’ve gone back to Shimano (SLX) and don’t regret it for a moment – absolutely zero issues.

geologist
    Free Member

I have used sram for 5 years on 2 bikes, only ever had a jockey wheel go!

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I think I’ll try another sram shifter and hope I get lucky this time, mainly because I don’t want the hassle of selling my rear mech.

I don’t know if the X0 is any better than the X9. At the moment I’m thinking of trying the X0, just hope I’m not paying £30 extra (over the X9) for nothing.

Cammer
    Free Member

My X9 rear shifter went kaput yesterday after 15 months use. Small plastic bit inside snapped, so going to try and warranty replace it tomorrow as it’s certainly not a wear and tear failure

Also had an XT shifter do the same but an SLX I replaced that with is still going strong.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ve had exactly the same problem with 2 X9 shifters. I’ve since moved to X0 (thinking exactly the same thing as you); they shift even better and I don’t have this problem anymore. Yeh, so get X0 shifter and it won’t happen again. X9 stuff really isn’t very good in terms of durability and longevity but the X0 keeps on going.

smiff
    Free Member

have heard from others that x0 and XX don’t have this problem, x9 and below apparently do.. either pay the extra or sell your rear mech and go Shimano (even cheapy Shimano Deore seems reliable).

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

2 years warranty on Sram stuff , and the importers , Fishers are really good at sorting issues out . Send it back .

theendisnigh
    Free Member

cheers fellas, I’ll order a x0 and send this x9 back 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘sram x9 shifter broken in 2 months, is x0 any better?’ is closed to new replies.