Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sram X9 cable replacement
  • Alcopop
    Free Member

Need to replace the rear X9 outer and inner on my full suss reading a lot of conflicting info regrading compatibility non compatibility Sram 1.1 / Shimano 1.2 is there really that much of a difference had clean crisp shifting until recently outer now fraying at the shifter end checked the cables that came with it but there unbranded so what cable should i go for ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve always used shimano in SRAM shifters an no issue at all, can’t see how it would make a difference.

AlasdairMc

MTB gear cables all the same. 1:1 and 1:2 refers to how much cable the shifter pulls through to move the mech.

z1ppy

Not all gear cables are the same, as you can get thinner 1.1mm cables over the STD 1.2mm (to help reduce friction IIRC)… BUT this makes frick all difference to the shifter, a gear cable is a gear cable*.

*Hmm just found a thread saying SRAM gripshift work beest with 1.1mm

I’d be looking at stainless steel not galvanized gear cable to increase the life of the cable (With new SP41 outer).

PS: Be careful taking your X9 shifter to pieces, not difficult but I wouldn’t like to try and put everything back inside, if it all fell out…

skindog
    Free Member

@z1ppy I’d second that call to be cautious!

I’ve changed the front mech cable and the shifter was prone to exploding. All back together and shifting smoothly fortunately. 😳

Alcopop
    Free Member

yep found the same info re the 1.1mm ill go the stainless steel SP41 route i think
    have heard a cautious approach is needed when when inserting the cable !!
    cheers Ali

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sram X9 cable replacement’ is closed to new replies.