Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • SRAM X1 similar to…
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

My new bike is coming with a Sram X1 group set but I’ve always had shimano SLX and XT on previous bikes
    Is Sram X1 on par with XT, is it better or worse?
    What differences if any are there and will I notice any of them?
    Thanks

rickon
    Free Member

Better.

Or worse.

Depends who you ask.

Better for me, by a good margin.

It’s a but like asking is Xbox better than PlayStation. There’s not really a right answer, but everyone will be a dick about it.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll await the responses…

Liftman

Always had shimano on my bikes then got a capra with sram x1 on it, the shifting feels more positive than shimano and it also just works, now I’m a convert to sram gears

jamj1974

I’ve used XX1, X9 and SLX a lot in recent years. Before that I was a dyed in the wool XTR user. I have tried current X1 and XTR 11spd recently too.

I would rate XX1 as higher performing and with a better ‘feel’ than XTR. I would rate X1 similarly. XTR feels very good but not as positive. I have SLX on one bike at the moment and it feels ok and performs solidly but does not set the world alight.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think the point is go ride it and make your own mind up 🙂
    Perfectly happy with gx myself after a good 8 months of it.

rickon
    Free Member

What I will say is SRAM gx shifters feels worse than X1 – tiny bit more throw and lever shape sharper – but beyond that X1, X01, XX1 all feel the same. I’ve used all, and I’d be happy to run X1 shifters GX mech and chain.

In the past, it used to be that x5 < x7 < x9 < x0 < <xx1, and they used to map to shimano deore, SLX, Xt and XTR quite well.

Now it’s very blurred, the only benefit of the higher end SRAM is weight now. (And bragging right, if that’s your thing).

Tiger6791

Got X0 on mine, feels good, works well.

Really not looking forward to replacing worn components .. 😯 (I think this is where Shimano wind hands down)

sambob
    Free Member

I’ve got SRAM NX (deore level I suppose) and I’ve been very happy with it. I wouldn’t say I prefer it to Shimano, would be happy using either.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies

I guess as long as it’s on par with XT then I’ll be happy.
    Don’t see any advantages of XTR other than weight and as long as X1 performs as well as XT then
    thats fine

twisty

X1 goes POP and XT goes CLICK. That is the main difference.
    Oh and all Shimano chains are stupid.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve got X1 on one of my bikes, and to answer your question I’d say closer to XT than SLX. Different feel to Shimamo, deff more of a positive clunk but nice all the same. More importantly it just works, the gears are there when you want them, no fuss or bother.

jamj1974

I think X1 is better than XT and XTR.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah the gx does feel better than the xt 10sp on my other bike and better than the x9 it replaced. (twist shift obviously)

mindmap3
    Free Member

I really like the X0/1 shifters because you can adjust to position of the triggers. I think SRAM shifters have better economics than Shimano ones, but having just gone back to SRAM I miss the double up shift click.

Downside is the cost of replacement parts but you’ve typically been able to find it heavily reduced from the online shops. I’m currently running a GX mech and cassette with an X01 shifter and chain. So far I’ve been really happy with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘SRAM X1 similar to…’ is closed to new replies.