Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sram X1 gear set up. Shifting behind cassette
  • swainy90
    Free Member

Bought a brand new bike and is a first running sram gear set up. The problem I have is with the gears. All gears up and down select very smoothly. My problem is when I’m riding steep hills and selected 11th gear There is movement in the shifter to select further up which is shifting the chain behind the cassette. Simple to say don’t press again when your already in the biggest gear but when riding I don’t really want to keep looking at my cassette to see if I am indeed in the hugest cog. Having shimano previously when in the largest cog the shifter won’t move at all but this x1 does. Any help appreciated

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Screw in the L (low) limit screw.

benpinnick

As above – it needs setting up properly.

swainy90
    Free Member

Shouldn’t the limits screws be set as it’s a brand new bike? It’s not jumping out when I’m selecting 11th cog behind it’s when I’m pressing the lever as if there is a 12th gear but there isn’t so it goes behind. It’s like the shifter shifts when it’s shouldn’t

simondbarnes

The limit screws need setting up correctly

swainy90
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guys it was indeed the limit screw needed adjusting. I presumed this would all be set up being a new bike but seems not. All good now though thanks guys

mattyfez

It should have been set up properly by the shop, even if you buy a boxed bike for self assembly the gears are normally pretty much dialled in at factory.

No guarantee though as you have found out!

fossy

Always double check as this is a sure fire way of ripping off your rear mech if it overshifts.

swainy90
    Free Member

Yeah definately mate. I actually bought from a shop so expected it to be set and something else just being faulty but like you all said was limit screw. Luckily sorted before damage/broken components

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Glad you are sorted – could have been set up OK, but the hanger’s got bent slightly? I’d expect a new bike to be right though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sram X1 gear set up. Shifting behind cassette’ is closed to new replies.