Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SRAM X-9 Rear Mech replace or not?
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

I have an X-9 SRAM 2009 rear mech and have had a few chain snaps lately. i think the reason is the fact that i have altered the length with a tool rather than using quick links.

My bottom jockey wheel teeth are looking worn and pointy now and the derailliuer body has play in it – i can wobble is a few mm in and out from the wheel. is this normal? is it worth replacing the jockey wheel as the one above is fine?

richmtb

If it shifts okay then just replace the jockey wheel.

Play in the linkages is fairly common but if it doesn’t effect the shifting then you might get another year out of the mech.

If its not shifting properly then obviously replace the mech

z1ppy

Yep get some BBB jockey wheels. I’ve running two X9’s, and they wobble excessively on their linkages but work absolutely fine.
    I’ve just resurrected my only shimano rear mech bike and I **** hate it, I’ve had nothing but problems with it since rebuilding the bike, POS!

nosedive
    Free Member

this puts me in mind of a friend of mine who stuffed a wobbly mech into his wheel after mocking us all for changing our mechs too frequently

thats an extreme case though, Rich and Z1ppy are right, you should be fine if it is shifting ok

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Sorry to be lazy, but can someone post a link to the BBB jockey wheels for a 2009 X9 rear mech. Cant believe how expensive the SRAM replacements are!

Sorry too for the hijack

cheers

nosedive
    Free Member

I would like to see that link too. Last time I needed x9 jockey wheels I managed to find an x7 mech for less and just replaced the whole thing

z1ppy

you post all that but can’t type bbb jockey wheels in to google..

http://www.dotbike.com/p/3992

Not to worry, as you still have to figure out which ones to order (not too hard), then do the kypton factor and figure out which of the many “bushings” that come with it, your supposed to use.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

thanks z1ppy, as you pointed out, my laziness was more around working out the bushing choice. If it’s anything like picking the right Tacx ones on Wiggle (or was it CRC?), then it isnt easy…

z1ppy

it melted my brain the two times I’ve replaced them. The manual ‘sheet’ may as well be in chinese for all the info it conveys. There on an working, so the bushing can’t be too specific.. 😉

RustyMac

I just replaced the jocky wheels on my Sram X9 derailer last week, ordered the BBB ones from dotbike ant they arrived the next day. Instructions tell you which bushes to use, the pack includes heaps for loads of different mechs. I think i used the H ones but just matched which looked right and then went back to the instructions for confirmation.

When you get them and look at the instructions the drip in between the bushes is OIL not super glue as i first thought (really glad went back to the site to check on that one).

nosedive
    Free Member

excellent, thanks, and sorry for google laziness. I will be pleased to run bushings in jockey wheels again. bearings seemed like a great idea until one collapsed making the mech sieze up. I guess the bushings wont do that.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

nosedive – that was my issue on the weekend (on Ms AD’s bike). The bearing collapsed, looked like several bearing has been ground away completely, now I’m thinking a bushing would do the job better (and cheaper).

I briefly thought about using some butter from her sarnie as a lube, but decided to hobble back to the van instead.

nosedive
    Free Member

typical over-engineering isn’t it. I was really cursing when it happened to me that I would have made it home fine if I didn’t have such an expensive mech

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SRAM X-9 Rear Mech replace or not?’ is closed to new replies.