Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • SRAM X-9 PROBLEM. Anyone else…….
  • Cotters
    Free Member

As some of you may have read last night I have been messing about with my new Bike (’10 Crush), to try and get the rear mech into top (high) gear. Having played with everything (and I mean everything), it transpired that I could simply push the mech into the final gear and therefore the spring was unable to pull it there and is simply not up to the job.

Another poster (mintimperial) identified the problem and I wondered if anyone else out there have had a similar issue ??

The bike shop I bought it from (internet purchase I am afraid) have offered to “fix” it if I send the mech back. This means I lose the use of the bike for at least a week so any thoughts on what I might do would be much appreciated. 😕

grim168
    Free Member

My 2010 crush sometimes struggles to drop into top. I played with it and it was ok for a while but still stuggles now and again. By the way what was the problem identified as.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

A mate had to return two recently with failed rear springs – and they were brand new. My old one has done over 6000 miles with only replacement jockey wheels needed – maybe quality has slipped?

Cotters
    Free Member

Grim – simply that the spring ain’t strong enough to get it into top gear 🙁

5lab

are you sure its not the limit screws or a bent rear mech hanger at fault?

ojom
    Free Member

aye we have seen a couple through the shop like this albeit not from new. Usually with a few miles in em.

They simply decide to not want to spring.

monkeyp

A friend has a new X9 rear mech and on last weekends Ruthin marathon he had major issues. It turned out that the rivets that hold the parallelegram assembly together were too tight (compared to my one) and the spring couldn’t over come it. I believe a few whacks with a centre punch to loosen them did the trick.

It actually fely ‘tight’ to move the mech by hand.

rootes1

i had this, adjusted the B tension and it sort the problem – wind it in a lot

dazh

I have the same problem, although with mine it’s not the spring as I can’t even push it into position. After much investigation I discovered that the limiting screw for bottom gear (largest sprocket) obstructs the mech body, preventing it from dropping down into top gear. I could resolve this by unscrewing the screw a bit so that it doesn’t obstruct the mech but then this meant that the limit for bottom gear was wrong which resulted in the chain shifting past the largest sprocket and getting stuck between the cassette and spokes.

Seems to be a case of bad design if you ask me. Maybe it’s fixable with more tweaking but since I never use top gear anyway I just ignore it.

khani
    Free Member

Same here, b tension screw wound in sorted it same as Rootes1

racing_ralph
    Free Member

same here – over adjusted the b tension and limit screw so it kind of shifts marginally beyond the small cog, all is good for mow, but when it gets muddy it stops working again 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

There is no b-tension adjustment on SRAM mechs surely?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

They do. Why wouldn’t they? They have no barrel/tension adjuster.

njee20
    Free Member

Oh yeah, so they do, that’s very odd, I’ve never noticed it on mine!

Cotters
    Free Member

I’m off home in a minute to give it a go !! 😯

racing_ralph
    Free Member

#
    njee20 – Member

Oh yeah, so they do, that’s very odd, I’ve never noticed it on mine!
    Posted 12 minutes ago # Report-Post

is that cos you have xx? 😆

mintimperial

I tried the b-screw trick on mine: it didn’t really help much, just slowed down the shifting across the rest of the cassette.

The only thing that has worked at all, as I said yesterday, is tons of WD40, wiggling for 1/2 an hour, and then (carefully) whacking the rivets with a centre-punch. But even that didn’t fix it completely, it’s still not quite right. I suspect that a winter of gritty Pennine mud would probably loosen things up enough, but after a couple of months putting up with it mine’s going in the spares box as soon as the X.0 replacement arrives.

gamo
    Free Member

I had a 2010 x9 which wouldn’t drop into the highest gear no matter what i tried,as the mech dropped it was fouling on the low adjustment screw!
    Asked on here and a few suggested crap mechanic rather a fault but after returning it to the shop then Fishers i was given a replacement and told there was a manufacturing issue.New one set up perfectly then the three month old rh shifter stopped working!Been using sram gears for six years and build quality is definetly not what it was!

Paceman
    Free Member

Keep it well lubricated, especially the pivots, GT85 or similar. Most important during the wetter months. Kept mine shifting smoothly over the last 3 years.

Cougar

Known problem, SRAM are swapping them under warranty I believe (OH had hers replaced by the LBS a week or two back). On hers it was jamming in first gear, as though the spring wasn’t strong enough to move the mech.

GavinB

Good to hear, as I was running out of ideas the other night whilst trying to get my 2010 X-9 to drop into highest gear. Replaced cable, cable outer, cleaned and lubed all the pivots, checked stops, chain and jockey wheels. Works fine in all gears until it tries to go to top, then it just moves very slowly on releasing the shifter.

Glad it’s not just me then.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘SRAM X-9 PROBLEM. Anyone else…….’ is closed to new replies.