Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • SRAM to SHIMANO Compatiblity ??
  • Nick-Scots
    Free Member

Hi,

I have an SRAM 7spd cassette, and have got a new Shimano 9spd one. The shimano one without the two wee cogs, fits but the actual gap between each gear is marginally smaller.

I have a deore XT rear derailleur.

If I fit the shimano cassette, leave two gears off, will it work ?

Ta

Nick

PS SRAM pg 370 sprocket, Shimano HG9 Deore 9spd.

ziggy
    Free Member

I had to read that twice over to make sense. In short, no.
    The chain would be too wide, and the spacing would be incorrect for index shifting.

However you can run 7/8 speed stuff together if nessecary.

zaskar
    Free Member

9 sp cassette on a 7 sp freehub body? could be bodged?

I’m thinking as long as you can tighten that lockring using a spacer?

Also the 9sp cassettes are closer in distance so you may have to use 9sp chain and and 9 sp chain wheels.

I would have gone the 8sp cassette route as you can use the IG 8sp type chain on the chain wheels.

Bit more spec of your bike and shifters?

aP
    Free Member

Can’t fit 8spd on a 7spd freehub. I would try and find a 7spd cassette from somewhere like here and just use that.

Nick-Scots
    Free Member

Ta. Yes, the sprocket ring spacing is narrower than the sram one. Also the gear shifters only goto 7.

I took the new sprocket out and could fit it on the hub easily. But, did not actually put the chain on as I think I’ll take it back. Typical as I bought it on saturday at the LBS and they said it will fit.

They will take it back no probs.

Still amazes me how much more I replace kit on my MTb compared to Road bike.

Nick

ziggy
    Free Member

The issue with the shifter is that a 7 speed shifter has a longer push stroke and pulls more cable, so the cog spacing would incorrect.

Nick-Scots
    Free Member

Agreed, so even if the cog fits on the hub the indexing of the lever will be out as the gaps are narrower.

Anyway, thanks for posting.

Nick

Nick-Scots
    Free Member

I fitted the shimano one. And without any adjustment whatsover it works perfectly ! The gap between each ring is different as well.

Nick

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘SRAM to SHIMANO Compatiblity ??’ is closed to new replies.