Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SRAM / Shimano 10 speed compatibility
  • thebunk

Any one know if I can run a SRAM 2×10 chainset with SLX/XT 10 speed everything else? If I can, would it be best to get an SLX double front mech?

Seems to be the most cost effective way of getting 2×10 currently, if it is workable.

ta,

thebunk

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Chainsets are pretty generic – SRAM, Truvativ, Stronglight, Campagnolo etc. etc. will all work with a Shimano drivetrain.

You don't need a specific double front mech, to be honest I'm sure if you've a 9 speed one knocking around it'd probably work though obviously not to 100% efficiency.

Can't see why the SLX one wouldn't work either.

njee20
    Free Member

Why not just get the proper SRAM front mech to match your chainset, that'll work better than an SLX double. Should shift fine as well with Shimano shifters.

And that'll work fine, cassette spacing is allegedly different, so your rear mech/shifter/cassette/chain do now have to match (again allegedly), but chainset will be fine.

Reign_Man
    Free Member

I have been told by my lbs that the 10sp will not be inter changeable, shimano 10sp is a directional chain and different profile or something

njee20
    Free Member

That's chain/cassette, rather than rings. If Shimano chains genuinely will not work on anyone elses chainrings then they're going to lose a lot of customers!

thebunk

Right – so I need to get a Shimano chain for a Shimano cassette? Flippin Shimano! 🙄

Current shopping list (all 10 speed)

XT Shifters
    XT rear mech (long cage)
    XT Cassette (11-36)
    XT Chain

SRAM X9 front mech
    SRAM X9 chainset (26-39)

Look alright? Is this all a terrible mistake?! It'll be an expensive pile of cogs if it doesn't work…

xanboy
    Free Member

The cable pull on the Shimano shifters is different to Sram too, so you may, I'll say that again may find the Sram front mech won't work as well as it should.
    The Shimano 10 speed chain is also wider than the Sram one I believe, it is different to the 10 speed road chain as well.

schmiken

All front mechs work fine with all shifters – you'll find weightweenies/racers have been mixing and matching SRAM, Shimano and Campag front mechs and shifters for years!

njee20
    Free Member

It's all got a bit more complex for 10 speed though, different cable pulls and what not.

There are people using XX mechs with XTR shifters though, I think Blazin-Saddles is one of them, so you should be fine using a SRAM double front mech with Shimano shifters. It is 'should' though! The only sure fire way to guarantee everything works properly is to stick with one manufacturer, but where's the fun in that!?

edhornby

I bet your existing (9sp) rear mech will work with the new 10sp cassette, it's just 2 plates with springs that are moved by a cable (same principle as the front mech)

thebunk

So it's a definite "maybe" then? 🙂

Reason why I'm thinking of not going all sram is that they seem to be releasing their 10 speed stuff in dribs and drabs – the shifters aren't out for another 8 weeks or so. No actual rush from my point of view, I just want my nice shiny new bike built up before November is all!

Do I risk it?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘SRAM / Shimano 10 speed compatibility’ is closed to new replies.