Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • SRAM Power Link 10 speed
  • mtb_matt
    Free Member

Been using these fine on a 9sp chain for years.

Now I’m finding on my 10sp chain I cannot get the thing undone. Anyone else have this problem or am I weak and feeble. Any tips gratefully received.

Matt

druidh
    Free Member

The 10 speed ones are not meant to be undone. They are called PowerLOCK, not PowerLINK. I believe that some folk are managing to do it though – some with the help of a Park Tool of some sort.

However, I’ve found that a 9-speed one works just as well on a 10 speed chain.

stevomcd
    Free Member

They’re single-use on 10 speed. Not possible to undo them.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get ome KMC ones instead.

Northwind

Superstar sell a missing-link remover which does the job easily- though, I’ve not tried to use mine since, just refit it to make sure it was possible then dropped it in the spares box.

KMC ones are reusable.

mtb_matt
    Free Member

Well that explains everything. What were SRAM thinking. The power link was perfectly fine as it was. Why change it?

Matt

smiff
    Free Member

never, ever had a 9s powerlink fail (only normal links). solving a problem that didn’t exist, or getting you to buy new chains or something? SRAM lost a customer here. not that i ever remove chains for cleaning anyway 😀

Slogo
    Free Member

How much! one KMC chain link £8….

didn’t think going 10 speed and 29er would cost this much!

dantsw13

Try the YBN links too.

Speshpaul

try decatholon, £3.99 for 2 made buy KMC

100mphplus
    Free Member

You need a pair of these to un-do them;-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=powerlink+pliers

I have re-used a 10 speed link and no problem so far!

They are a bitch to put on too, you either need another pair of pliers like these yellow ones;-
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=56350

….or you have to fit the link so it’s just ‘biting’, run the link round the cassette so it’s on the ‘pulling’ side and stand on the pedals, the force will lock it.

emmodd
    Free Member

Can anyone else confirm a 9 speed link will work with a 10 speed chain without any fuss?

jota180
    Free Member

Can anyone else confirm a 9 speed link will work with a 10 speed chain without any fuss?

I does indeed work OK

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

A trick to undo them is to use some internal shifter cable tread it through the link and twist with some std pliers and it will undo.

Leku
    Free Member

This explains a lot (of swearing) the other night when I tried to undo one.

( off to get some KMC ones…)

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I used a 9spd one on my 10spd bike in an emergency in the alps and it ended up giving way on a climb. The 9 spd ones are slightly wider than the 10spd ones and I think this small amount of lateral play introduces a weak spot. I swapped it out for a 10spd KMC one and it has been fine ever since so for the sake of a few quid, I wouldn’t risk it.

druidh
    Free Member

By 0.6mm IIRC?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

druidh – Member

hughjayteens » The 9 spd ones are slightly wider than the 10spd ones

By 0.6mm IIRC?

Quite possibly but if you try it you see the play quite easily and having had a chain snap on me when flat out uphill and ending up on my back having gone OTB, I wouldn’t risk it!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Power Link 10 speed’ is closed to new replies.