Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Sram Poer Links – how crap?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

I've just had a third one brake

Anyone else find the same, and is there an alternative?

druidh
    Free Member

Never, ever broken one.

Jamie
    Free Member

Never had one poer power link brake break.

BoardinBob

Never broken one either. I can only assume you're not fitting them correctly???

zaskar
    Free Member

Or bad luck/batch?

I always have one on my bikes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Another here that doesn't break them – even on the tandem

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Never had one break however I did have some rather nasty chain suck last weekend which resulted in the power link coming apart.

I find them priceless in emergency's and a lot less faff than the shimano pins.

These little fella's are worth a punt if you are really stuck.

Trekster

current link is at least a year old, only ever broken 1 but have seen the odd broken link. ime the rider was/is a bit of a masher when changing gears esp uphill and tends to not keep his chainline as straight as possible at other times.

bol

Compared to shimano's equivalent they're fab (ever broken a shimano chain in a race?). I've been running SRAM chains for a couple of years in all conditions and not broken one yet. The magic links aren't very good for washing machines in my experience though.

bassspine
    Free Member

never seen a sram power link break

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Mine are fine, and my LBS recommended I run them on Shimano chains too – which also seems to work well.

Dasha
    Free Member

I've used them for years and never had one break. You are using genuine ones on 9 speed chain I assume!?

nuke

Used them for years with shimano chains and only had one come apart.

jackal
    Free Member

Seen one break once, never broke one myself tho, been using them for years..

😀

tthew

You've not installed it back to front have you? If so, the action of the chain may be pushing it open instead of pulling it tight.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You've not installed it back to front have you?

please explain ?

househusband

LOL @ tthew! Nice one. 😉

Kahurangi

Broken one once, when attempting to change front chainring and stomping up a climb. Stupid me. Never broken one otherwise.

Of the chain breakages while out riding while I've been with other folks:

Powerlink breakages: 1
    Other chain breakages: 4

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

LOL @ tthew! Nice one.

oh, it was a joke ? Gosh that's funny.

tthew

Thanks househusband. I was expecting to get instantly flamed for that. (sorry SFB)

I use them all the time, never even bother making a new Shimano chain with the supplied pin, and despite warnings on Shimano fittings that I will CERTAINLY DIE I'm still here.

edit – though perhaps SFB thinks I should F off and do just that.

westkipper
    Free Member

I have zero faith in SRAM standard links.
    but I rate their powerlinks and use them on Shimmy chains.
    I also have never broken one

thomthumb
    Free Member

just keep reeling them in tthew! hehehe.

i've had em pop open (mostly when doing bad things!) but never break.

mk1fan
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    Never, ever broken one.

High praise indeed from someone who needs 203mm brakes front and rear on their lightweight XC bike 😉

I've seen one break. Not one of mine though. I have snapped at least 10 'normal' chains though.

tthew, very funny. sfb must have had a blonde moment. Although Simon, if you could get me a left handed hammer I'd appreciate it. I need one to help put up some wind proof wire netting.

nickegg
    Free Member

In 5 years of biking i have never snapped a chain or broken a Power Link, which i have fitted to every chain i've ever had.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I've broken one that was on it's 4th chain or so, and always carry some as spares. Certainly not worried about day to day reliability, much better than Shimano – once broke a Shimano chain within 2 months of fairly light riding, never used Shimano since.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

though perhaps SFB thinks I should F off and do just that.

well, I can hardly criticise anyone else for posts lacking usefulness can I ?

Northwind

I've seen one fall off, which is a lot less than the number of broken chains I've seen. It was pretty worn out though, it'd been passed from chain to chain. KMC ones are slightly better IMO, though there's not much in it but they're both great. If you stick one into most chains it's the strongest part.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

never broken one but have snapped chains. Still using p/links that have outlasted their original chains and carry a couple for trailside repairs, and use them to join shimano chains. One of the best innovations in years IMHO.

bassspine
    Free Member

so Bonesetter: how did you break yours?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Well, today's was sitting pedaling up a steep and trying to drop onto the granny as I found myself in slippery mud.

The one before that one was on my HT, standing going up another steep. HT set up 1×9 – went with a bang that one

bassspine
    Free Member

interesting. do they break apart or do the pins pull through?

duir
    Free Member

Never had one break even when used with a shimano chain. Maybe just bad luck.

MicArms

Maybe you're just too fat Nigel?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I was running a chain a few years ago that had three of them in.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Nah Mick – it's more a case of me having to take over the thighs of steel mantle 😯

SBrock
    Free Member

Well, today's was sitting pedaling up a steep and trying to drop onto the granny as I found myself in slippery mud.

The one before that one was on my HT, standing going up another steep. HT set up 1×9 – went with a bang that one

Im sorry mate but you are asking for trouble shifting through the gears under load……..

Select the right gear before loading the cranks up with power….

Chains & Links never fail if you use the gears correctly!

obirobkeno
    Free Member

Never broken one, use them on my HT and on my SS. The SS has a 9-speed chain too… Just bad luck? 😉

bassspine
    Free Member

neil's-on-wheels – Member

I was running a chain a few years ago that had three of them in.

Not to play one-upmanship, but I serviced a bike (that belonged to the Commando Training Camp at Lympstone) that had NINE power links in it O_o and it was working tolerably…

MicArms

bonesetter – Member

Nah Mick – it's more a case of me having to take over the thighs of steel mantle
    Pah, in your dreams matey! Seriously though, no problems with power links. Chains snapping ( esp Shimano ones)occasionally sram , but no probs with the links, apart from some being stubborn to undo, where the mighty 'T.O.S' pressure has cold formed the links into a solid mass. You out this week?
    Clent monday, wyre wednesday?

bonesetter
    Free Member

I can accept the shifting under load, but the other occasion was JRA

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Sram Poer Links – how crap?’ is closed to new replies.