Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • sram mech not shifting to lowest sprocket
  • VanHalen

anyone else have to space their sram mech away from the frame to get it to shift into the lowest sprocket?

it’ll shift to the sprocket if i give it a run up of a few gears but not if shifting one gear only. mech hits limit stops (limit screw wound totally out) so its not a dicky cable. and brand spanking new mech. cannondale sl frame.

the more i use sram the more i think its junk.

frogstomp

X9? Think there was a dodgy batch which had stiff pivots.. may be worth sending it back under warranty..

Mine was like that but seems to have freed up over time. Also try giving the pivots a good soaking with penetrating oil.

Shame as my X0 was perfect until I broke the carbon cage on it..

njee20
    Free Member

Shame as my X0 was perfect until I broke the carbon cage on it..

Cage is replaceable. Not cheap, but cheaper than a new mech.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve seen more than my fair share (and over a couple of years so not confined to one batch). Return and warranty replacement.There’s a reason I hate sh(r)am!

frogstomp

Cage is replaceable. Not cheap, but cheaper than a new mech.

The inner cage? I’ve seen replacements for the half that comes of when you remove the jockey wheels, but not the other half (and can’t see how it unbolts from the rest of the mech)…

VanHalen

x7 mech.

very annoyed

crazybaboon

I’ve had problems like this with sram mechs, just put a washer between the hanger and mech.

baznav73
    Free Member

The inner cage? I’ve seen replacements for the half that comes of when you remove the jockey wheels, but not the other half (and can’t see how it unbolts from the rest of the mech)…

It comes altogether inner/outer cage and jockeys, you remove it by removing the little spring stop pin with an allen key and let the spring tention unwind and the whole assembly will come off, don’t need to remove jockeys or anything first.

scaredypants

tight pivots on a SRAM mech ? 😯

I’ve only ever seen sloppy – mind, I never got up as far as XO !

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yup, my X7 had this problem. I think it was bent (dont know how)

I replaced with a 2nd hand x9 and its fine (both were short cage)

Rorschach
    Free Member

There was a spate of this happening (brand new bikes) a couple of years ago but I still see them semi regularly even now 😕

frogstomp

Cheers for that.. I’ll take another look.. anyone suggest anywhere reasonably priced to get the spare part from..?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘sram mech not shifting to lowest sprocket’ is closed to new replies.