Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SRAM GX vs X1 – mech & shifter
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

I’m still in X7/X9/X0 land and wondering with 1×11 whether there’s that much of a difference between the somewhat cheaper GX and more expensive NX, when it comes to rear mech and shifter (not bothered about cassette, I’m Shimano when it comes to cassettes and freehubs).

In the new world does X9 = GX, X0 = X1 ?

Or is it more like X7 = GX, X9 = X1 (which would make sense X0 = X01 and XX = XX1)?

But then I’m reading the GX mech and shifter specs seem virtually the same as X1. Small weight savings mostly. Sounds more like the difference between X9 and X0 (whereas X7 was more basic).

Anyway, not fussed about super light weight, but don’t want plastic cheap quality (NX?). I do need to be able to swap out jockey wheels (which I think you couldn’t on X7 or was it X5, due to using rivets instead of screws?). If the GX mech is as good quality as an old X9 Type 2 mech, then that’ll do me really.

Ditto with shifter, but so long as it’s something like an X9 shifter in feel, that’s fine for me.

chakaping
    Free Member

In the new world does X9 = GX

I’d say this, but perhaps a bit more plasticky.

Shimano XT 11sp is about the same price though. I prefer that myself.

dumbbot
    Free Member

I’m still ‘stuck’ on X7 and you can change the jockey wheels, having just swapped out the rotted bag of shite Sram ones for Mt Zoom ceramic.

Currently also pondering the same, as in which sram(my preference) 1X would i consider. Some of the reviews about the GX mech say thats it’s a little plasticy and perhaps has issue of stripped the b-tension screw holder…no first hand experience of this though,.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Might have been the X5, though new X5s look like screws now. I remember someone posting about changing the jockeys and turned out it was riveted. Likewise I want to swap out for decent ones once the SRAM swiss cheese stuff jam up and disintegrate (doesn’t take long). Mt Zoom jockeys good? I used to have KCNC ceramic but they doubled in price. Then went Uberbike but they’ve discontinued the ceramic and are just doing in house made stuff now at higher prices.

Thinking maybe X1 shifter for a bit more luxury paired with GX mech. Some things saying the GX mech is a little newer in design.

And yeah, SRAM been my preference in shifting for years. Cassette is fine with Shimano and means not getting locked into XD freehub. Chain is always KMC and yet to decide on chainring. I can keep what I’ve got (Works Components, a little worn but probably okay) but might try an oval.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Only has the Mt Zoom jockeys in for a couple of months, but the X7 mech is purring and shifting away nicely. I like them.

I’m quite happy with the quality/feel of the X7 stuff, i think i would go X1 rear mech with the GX shifter. dunno if i trust the GX rear mech,?

euans2
    Free Member

I use GX on my current bike with a Shimano 11/42 cassette, so far it has been great, it shifts much better that the XT m8000 I had before. I’ve also used X1 and X01 on other bike and tbh I’m hard pushed to tell the difference between the 3!

coblck
    Free Member

Used x01 x1 gx and now have nx on my 2nd bike. I would recommend x1 shifter with gx mech. Super light shifting and good reliability. As for nx great value for money really hard to tell, if it get ripped off by a tree not as expensive to replace.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as a mate pointed out (maybe just coincidence) GX looks like X9 the other way up on the shifter pods.
    Running GX 11 Twistshift and it’s the same mechanism as the X1 but different materials. Functionally it’s been solid. It’s certainly up there at the XT grade pushed higher by the better weights. Personally I’d say the XX is pushing beyond XTR these days.

NX is the cheap line.

Not swapped any jocky wheels but page 73 says maybe
    https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/ep-EtchUh37vbV_5bRpP1LmWErIihvSNWx0t5EM2Bqw/mtime:1488218535/sites/default/files/techdocs/2017_sram_spc_revb.pdf

deadkenny
    Free Member

Just checking my other light travel bike that came with 1×11 set up already and just realised it’s all X01 on that. Thought it was X1 and was thinking if GX was roughly same workings and feel, but just cheaper and slightly heavier materials, then GX would do. GX vs X01 might be more noticeable.

Though I probably won’t care much. This is for my old school 26er big bouncy bike that’s mainly going to be used for bike park and DHish kind of stuff. Just the existing 1×10 stuff on it is very slack and rattling. Thought instead of bothering to fix it, just upgrade it to 1×11.

deadkenny
    Free Member

dumbbot – Member 
    Some of the reviews about the GX mech say thats it’s a little plasticy and perhaps has issue of stripped the b-tension screw holder…

The stripped thing, was that the review on CRC? Or are there others. One review and guy ranting about threads stripped and replaced by helicoil, but not sure what he’s on about. Seems very upset by it though.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Yeah only the CRC reviews and wiggle complaining about cheese jockey wheels(be we know about them) i’m aware of, could just be some hamfisted idiots mouthing off and with some STW users more than happy with the GX I reckon I’d give it a punt for the money.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘SRAM GX vs X1 – mech & shifter’ is closed to new replies.